Published: Jan. 27, 2016

Cassandra hanging out with family over winter breakBreaks from school are what you make them. After my final break of college, I like to think that I’ve learned a few things. Sometimes, it is nice to get stuff done in your limited times of freedom while you’re in college.

Here are some tips for making the most out of your breaks while you’re in school:

• Make a plan. Whether you want to learn how to snowboard or apply for internships over break, having a plan for doing so always helps. It sounds a bit extreme, but if I don’t have goals to reach then I probably won’t reach them. I personally like a planner, but you can use phone reminders or a to-do list as well.
  • Choose plans that you can’t do when school is in session. During breaks, your schedule is probably as flexible as it is going to get so why not take advantage of it? There are plenty of things you can reach for during the school year, but break is the time to think outside of what you normally can do and reach more time-consuming or difficult goals. I have a friend who learned how to ride a bike during break, while I got back into shape. I also slept for a full 18 hours at one point.Take advantage of the open time.
  • Be around people who you can’t see when school is in session. Over my breaks, I try to spend as much time with my family and friends from high school as possible. College breaks are unique because when you go home, so does everyone else. Try to schedule in time with people who you don’t see as much as you want, because these are the years to do it!
  • Go easy on yourself. There’s so much going on during the school year, don’t forget that your breaks are for you to relax. Although you may have goals, if you didn’t finish them all at least be satisfied that you got a start on them. Remember that these are the times when you set your own schedule and do what you want, let freedom ring!

Cassandra

Cassandra Duchan