Published: Jan. 25, 2016

Colorado mountain townHello All! It feels like I haven’t posted anything since last year (bad joke). I hope you all had a rejuvenating and happy winter break. I myself did nearly nothing, and I wouldn’t change a thing. The beginning of the semester is always a weird time for me. On one hand, I dread taking exams and homework, but a relaxing and entertaining break helps me feel energized and motivated to do well and not fall behind.

This past weekend, I was fortunate enough to go on a mini tour through Colorado’s mountain towns. The trip really helped me to relax and hopefully set me on a path towards success for my final semester here at CU-Boulder. (Yikes!)

To start our tour, we stopped in Georgetown, which is about an hour away from Boulder. I am not sure if it’s the mountain air or the quaintness of small town life, but being there really helped me to decompress from the stresses of school. In Georgetown, we stopped at this cute bakery called Cake and Bakery where I had the most amazing chocolate croissant and a cinnamon roll the size of my face.

Stomach satisfied, we drove around the downtown area—where there was plenty to see (don’t let its size fool ya!). There were historic buildings, ice fishing (yes, ice fishing) and gorgeous views everywhere you looked, and despite being only an hour away, it really felt like being in another country. To continue our adventure we made our way an hour or so north to the town of Silver Plume, which had a completely different aura. Being the winter season, most shops were closed down until spring. I am sure it’s beautiful in the summer but the lack of people and barred doors and fences really set the scene for a ghost town…pretty creepy.

To end our town tour, we ended up on the outskirts of Breckenridge, where I was witness to one of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life. Snow kiteboarding (note: I have no idea what it is actually called, but snow kite boarding seemed to be the most accurate). Picture this, a guy geared up for snowboarding, attached to a massive kite. The wind then pulls said guy around so fast that there are moments where his body literally leaves the ground. The touch downs back to the ground were so effortless, but extremely exhilarating to watch. Pictures do not do it justice, and if you are interested I highly recommend googling “Snowboard kite” …you will not be disappointed.

By the end of our little excursion, I had seen an array of beautiful views, exhilarating sports and had eaten a disturbing amount of food…so, a very good day for me. One of my favorite parts of Colorado are the little mountain towns. There is always something new to explore!

Lia
Lia Peulen