Published: Dec. 9, 2015

As is apparent, my first semester as a Buff is coming to a close. Although there have most Ben
certainly been times where I’ve been stressed, or tired, or hungry (hungry most often), these past 4.5 months have been a blast. This blog is primarily aimed at prospective and incoming students. My hope is that you can retain what I write here, so that you, too, can have a successful first semester at CU-Boulder, or whichever college you decide to go to.

1. Don’t be afraid to just go up and talk to people when school starts. So many people are eager to make new friends that it’s incredibly easy to talk to essentially anyone.
  2. Keep your room clean and make your bed every day. Trust me, when you’re able to actually climb into bed, and your friend down the hall has to clean up the explosion that went off in their room, you’ll thank me.
  3. Watch what you eat. The all you can eat dining halls can be tempting, but the freshman 15 is a real thing. Don’t forget about vegetables!
  4. Go to the gym. You’ll feel good for doing it, and it’s one of the only times you’ll have access to free facilities.
  5. Go to office hours. You don’t want to be some random in a lecture, make sure your Ben
    professors know who you are.
  6. Study, study, study! However, also make sure that you take time off, you don’t want your brain to fry.
  7. Eat out! The dining hall can get tiresome.
  8. Take advantage of the Flatirons, don’t be that person who still hasn’t hiked in Chautauqua after living in Boulder for two semesters.
  9. Be prepared for any weather. Boulder is volatile with its choice of temperature and what falls from the sky.
  10. Finally, make sure you manage your time well! This will maximize your time to have fun!

Take this advice, and make of it what you will. Obviously, this is only one path (mine) to success, and there are many other means to the end, but make sure to take into account the guidelines of someone who has recently been through their first semester. All of my friends, when I asked them, produced similar guidelines, so there must be some truth to it! But for now, I wish you a happy holidays, and good luck with your college applications!

Benjamin Rains
Benjamin Rains
Freshman