Published: Dec. 7, 2015

I think I may have a cooking curse. I have no idea why, but nearly everything I’ve ever made Cookies
has either come out gross or funny looking. All of my family cooks well, and I have various recipes and support that should make me the ideal chef. That couldn’t be further from the truth, though. I can make toast and ramen pretty well, but everything else looks like something out of a horror novel.

For a while, I really struggled with this over the holiday season. There are numerous parties that you have to go to after all, and everyone expects you to bring some sort of lavish and gourmet meal. For those of you who struggle with the cooking curse, there is hope. Below I present to you An Idiots Guide to Baking Sugar Cookies. These cookies have saved me a number of times, because they actually turn out well and make it look like you know what you are doing—impress your friends!

What you will need:

3 cups powdered sugar
2 cups soften butter (mo’ butta, mo’ flava)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
5 cups of flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar (I won’t lie, I am still not exactly sure what this is)

Mix everything together and then put it in the fridge for two hours. I wasn’t lying about the whole “easy” thing. After the dough is cooled you can roll it and then cookie-cut it like crazy, making all sorts of different shapes. When I did it recently I had an elephant cookie cutter that was my personal favorite. Put your masterpiece on a greased pan and cook for 5-7 minutes (that’s all?) at 375 degrees. That’s it! The cookies taste great and you get the satisfaction of making something edible. For an anti-chef like myself, it is really a great feeling.

Here are a few of my creations when I made some this past week.

I may have gotten carried away with sprinkles, but decorating them was really a lot of fun. A good baker is never clean though, and I ended up making a pretty big mess after.

I have always loved eating cookies, but recently I have found that making them is pretty fun too. Who knows, maybe with a little practice I can overcome my cooking curse. We will see, I suppose.

Lia
Lia Peulen