Published: Nov. 30, 2015

I have always been a big fan of musicals. I can’t sing, I can’t dance, I can’t act, but every time Theater
a show tune comes on, you better believe that I’ll  be singing and dancing around like an idiot. For one of my elective credits here at CU-Boulder, I took a musical theater class. All we did the entire class was watch and analyze different musicals, from Oklahoma to Chicago (the musicals, not the places). It was a really awesome class, and our final assignment was even to write a musical of our own…if you have extra time in your schedule for an elective then I highly recommend it.

My favorite musical of all time is My Fair Lady.  It’s about this linguist who bets a college that he can transform a poor, uneducated woman with a pretty harsh sounding cockney accent into a lady. Also, it’s got Audrey Hepburn in it, who I love. (This is yet another shameless plug where if you haven’t seen it then you definitely need to!) After My Fair Lady, though, my favorite musical would have to be West Side Story. How can you not? The story is timeless, the musical is ridiculously catchy. I find myself humming it to myself as I type this even now. Mariiiiaaaaa … (I may have a problem).

I was fortunate enough recently to get to see West Side Story live at the Candlelight Dinner Playhouse in Johnstown. Where is Johnstown? Good question.  It’s about a 45 minute drive from Boulder, in between Longmont and Loveland. The venue was gorgeous, and the food was actually pretty decent (I had the chicken).

Quick side note: my first ever experience with a dinner theater was at the one in Boulder (also very nice). I had to go see a live show for the class that I mentioned above, so I bought a ticket for myself to get the requirement out of the way. I had NO idea that dinner was included with the ticket (yes, I realize it’s implied in the title, but I was still surprised), so I ended up sitting alone, eating alone, being silently judged by the people around me. It was super embarrassing. I was prepared this time though, and knew better what I was getting myself into.

The show was amazing—great talent, great props, great experience. The only negative is that I literally have had the America song stuck in my head since I left. Joking aside, I really love the dinner theater experience and will very likely be going again in the future. The Boulder Dinner Theater is doing Footloose next semester, so I think another trip is definitely in order.

Lia
Lia Peulen