Published: Nov. 12, 2015

‘Tis the season for filtered pictured of trees on Instagram and sorority girls taking group Lia
photos in pumpkin patches. I have always thought of this time of the year as a time for last minute adventure- we only have a few more weeks until the snow hits after all, and I intend to use up as many precipitation free days as possible. Naturally, I wanted to see what all this corn-maze hullabalu (side note, I have no idea how to spell that) was about and decide to go and see one for myself.

Now, the last time that I was at a corn maze was probably during a Girl Scout trip in elementary school. I honestly couldn’t remember the appeal, and didn’t have high expectations. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the excursion turned out to be. We ended up going to Rock Creek Farm, which is a corn maze/pumpkin patch hybrid in Broomfield. We must have picked a good time to go, because there were almost no lines and pumpkins galore.

Despite my stubborn demeanor, I couldn’t help but become caught up in the fall environment. For the first time ever, I picked out my own pumpkin in an attempt to carve it at home (but more on that later)…After enjoying the patch (is that the phrasing term here?) we decided to Pumpkin patch
test our luck at the adjoined corn maze. I am the biggest scaredy cat ever, so I made sure beforehand that the maze family friendly. What I didn’t account for, however, was the families themselves. The number of times I was startled by little kids hiding in corn groups was pretty embarrassing, and I am ever thankful that no one that I knew was there to witness my terrified shrieks. I don’t know if it was the fact that it was dark, or because I have been watching too much Walking Dead, but I was pretty on edge throughout the ordeal.

After we left and came home it was time to carve my pumpkin. It should be said that I have never before carved a pumpkin in my life. It should also be said that pumpkin carving is nothing like they show on movies. It’s smelly, messy, and incredibly difficult to cut through. I had a blast doing it though, even though my final product was pretty pathetic. I would say that my last big adventure was a success overall though … bring on the snow!

Lia
Lia Peulen