Published: Nov. 2, 2015

Warning: the following post includes political references and campaign recollections. Read at Sign
your own risk.

With all the campaign jargon and political agendas being thrown around, I thought I’d include a little warning. Campaign season is the worst because it seems like every single one of my friends on social media suddenly becomes a political expert . . . with a loud opinion that apparently everyone needs to hear. That being said, this blog will focus slightly on politics because this past weekend I was fortunate to attend a Bernie Sanders rally.

Attending a political rally has always been a goal of mine (weird goal, I realize). There is something that I find completely overpowering about elections (annoying campaign ads aside) because I feel very passionately about exercising my right to vote. Unless you count running for student council in 5th grade, I don’t have any political experience myself—I really just think that the democratic process is something that a lot of people take for granted. We really do have a voice, and we have the capacity to change things in our society that we are unhappy with. Line

Rant aside, the rally was a really neat experience. I first heard of the event through Facebook, and waited almost an hour in line for tickets near the Engineering Center in the blistering sun—I may be exaggerating a bit, but there really was a long wait for tickets.

I met some pretty interesting students in line, though, and it was great to see that so many people were interested in the event.

Since I had never been to a political rally before, I didn’t really know what to expect. When I got there I was surprised to see most of the field was full. The event was free, but I was still surprised to see that word had gotten out so quickly. Bernie came out around 2 p.m. and spoke for about an hour and a half. I really enjoyed the rally. I know that politics can be annoying sometimes, but being able to experience an event like that in person did get me excited to vote. If nothing else, it was a new experience, and I am really glad that I got to go.

Lia
Lia Peulen