Published: Oct. 22, 2015

Growing up in Centennial, I never really appreciated trips to Denver. It was never more than a Denver
Light Rail ride away, but it never was super appealing to me before moving to Boulder. Don’t get me wrong, I love Boulder. I love how it’s a big city without the big city feel . . . but I have to admit, Denver is pretty great too.

In case you couldn’t guess, I spent this past weekend in Denver. It’s easy to forget, but the city is really only a 45 minute drive away from campus. For those who don’t drive there is a pretty convenient bus station that will pick you up from CU and take you directly to downtown. The buses that commute the Boulder-Denver route (I’m a poet!) are the BV, the BX, and the BMX. Being absolute failure at parallel parking and just a failure at city driving altogether,  the bus is a nice, relaxing way to get downtown.

I ended up getting to Denver around dinner time, and the city was bustling. Everyone had a place to be and the atmosphere was completely different than Boulder. Our first stop of the evening was at the Brown Palace hotel. The palace is a historic site, and has been around for over 100 years. The price range was a bit high for an impoverished college student such as myself, but it was neat to walk around the hotel and take in the history. For any horror geeks out there, the hotel is apparently haunted, so if you are ever in the area you should definitely Denver
stop by.

After walking around a bit we found ourselves at Union Station. The station was recently remodeled and looks amazing. This is the light rail hub but also offers a wide variety of restaurants and shops inside. While everything looked amazing, we settled on the Terminal Bar where I ate the best artichoke dip that I’ve ever had. Though I was glad to be back in Boulder by the end of the night, I had a really nice time exploring the city. With two cities so different it’s easy to remember that they are less than an hour away from one another!

Lia Peulen
Lia Peulen