Published: Oct. 15, 2015

September was our first month of event planning at my job at Bear Creek Apartments, Campus eventwhich
are CU-Boulder’s on-campus apartments. My job is to be a Community Support Staff member, and within that larger team we have four sub-groups. Our jobs are to bring people together in Bear Creek and also educate them. My sub-group is the Diversity and Social justice group, which is one of my passions, so I really enjoy it.

Our first event was called An Intro to -Isms. -Isms are things like racism and sexism, but a lot of people don’t really know that they exist or what they look like. So, we made a museum-style exhibit where we hung up displays of how -isms manifest themselves in the real world. That included articles, pictures, advertisements and videos. As we do with most events, we bribed people to come with food—it was Noodles & Company this time. We had a lot of turn out and great feedback—a lot of people thought it was interesting. Oh, and they (like all college students) were all about the free food.

We had another event that our whole Community Support Staff team planned. It was a luau where we watched Lilo and Stitch. We grilled kebabs and set up really fun decorations. It’s always fun to do big social events like this because they draw in a lot of people. We get to meet a lot of people and make them happy. What’s better than that?

Cassandra Duchan
Cassandra Duchan