Published: Oct. 14, 2015

Let’s talk about accounting. I can only imagine the audible groans and Picture 2feelings of disgust that sentence probably evoked. I
have to admit, a few years ago accounting sounded horrible to me too. When I pictured an accounting, I imagined a balding middle aged man in an endless sea of cubicles. I know that accountants got paid well, but never pictured myself in that position.  It wasn’t until the business school forced me to take a general intro class that I realized that I never really knew what accountants did. Something with financial statements? Calculators?

After realizing that I didn’t know much about it, I found myself far more open to the idea. I took a few more classes, did an internship, and here I am: a senior accounting major.  

There are two main branches of accounting: public and corporate. If you have any familiarity with accounting, then you have probably heard of the big four accounting firms: Ernst & Young, PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG and Deloitte. These firms are all amazing and have high reputations in the business world. Personally though, I find corporate accounting more appealing. What I love most about accounting is the fact that it is a universal position: every business needs someone to record and keep track of their financial statements. I love the idea of not being tied down to anything or any particular industry, and I really feel like corporate accounting is a good option for me. I also find myself to be more of a behind-the-scenes type of person. I am not nearly charismatic enough to be in sales, and absolutely hate (HATE) speaking in front of large crowds. I would much rather Picture 1
work hard in the background and accounting really gives me the opportunity to do just that.

As an accounting major, I also find myself open to a wide variety of jobs and opportunities. I don’t know if it’s the negative reputation or what, but there is never a shortage of accounting positions. CU-Boulder in particular really caters to business students. Just the other day, I attended a career fair for the Leeds School of Business. Every single company that I talked to mentioned a need for accounting/finance personnel, and a large majority of them were hiring for accounting positions. Don’t get me wrong, the subject isn’t easy. The intro accounting class I took during my freshman year at Leeds was one of the hardest I’ve ever taken, but it has been extremely rewarding so far. Fingers crossed it will lead to more good news as I continue the job search!

Lia
Lia Peulen