Published: Oct. 8, 2015

BUFFthon is a fun and wonderful charity fundraiser put on by CU-Boulder’s sororities and Buffthon
fraternities every year. It is the Panhellenic Board’s main fundraiser, and all of the money is donated to Children’s Hospital in Colorado, through Children’s Miracle Network. Last year, an impressive $38,303 was raised by CU-Boulder’s sororities and fraternities, all for the kids!

The event is a 10-hour-long dance marathon that is occurring this year on October 10 starting at 10 a.m., in the Balch Field House. It is their 10th year of running this event. I personally love volunteering at this event because there is lots of dancing involved, you get to physically meet and dance with the children you are sponsoring/fundraising for, and seeing the happy kids' faces when we show them love is the most rewarding thing in the world.

Some people don’t want to participate because they hear the word marathon. This is a falsity. You don’t actually have to dance the entire 10 hours. There is some sitting and standing when we listen to speeches and watch videos, paint faces and take pictures. It is not required for a participant to be in peak physical condition. It’s easy and it’s fun!

My freshman year, I signed up as a spirit dancer and only went for a few hours, popping in and out of the rec center. My friend and I painted each other’s faces and danced in a mosh pit of college kids and Children’s kids. Though I didn’t stay the entire time, I got to hear an inspiring speech by one of the fathers of a child with cancer. Many of the children we donate to have spent a lot of time in and out of hospitals, enduring many operations and obstacles before they turn 8 years old. I felt proud and humble that I was a small part of the well-being of some of these kids, because of the donation of my time and money.

One patient that was sponsored last year and will be sponsored again this year is Addison Kleinhans. Here is a description from his Facebook page, Help Addison Kick This Thing [cancer]: “Addison (11), little brother to Madelene (13), was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on April 6, 2010. This page was created to keep everyone updated on the daily ups and downs of 38 months of daily chemo and medical procedures. Addison had his final chemo on June 18 but he still has to go to CH every month for an array of tests and to make sure he doesn't relapse. Relapse is most likely to happen within the first 2 years Buffthon
of treatment so every day is a bit of a battle. He will be considered finished/cured in June 2018 at the age of 14.” Addison is so excited to return to BUFFthon this year! On the top right is a picture of Addison with some sorority girls who helped sponsor him last year.

My sorority, Alpha Delta Chi, is also sponsoring 20 siblings of a patient, and we are referring to them as sideline superheroes. The siblings will be at the event as well, so we will get to meet them all and touch their lives in a meaningful way.,

It’s amazing what people can do if they work together. And events like these disassemble the stereotype that all college students are selfish and nuisances to society until they graduate. We are people, just like the kids and their families, and we want to help each other.

If you are a CU-Boulder student and can donate an hour or two of your time on October 10th, I encourage you to come to the event and have some food and fun! If you are not a student, but are interested in donating to this worthy cause, you can help us reach our fundraising goal for this year here. You won’t regret it!

Harper Brown
Harper Brown
Sophomore