Published: Sept. 30, 2015

After my first year of college in Washington, D.C., I realized I missed Colorado. Let me tell you DC
what I love about Colorado that I felt like I was missing out on in D.C.:

1. People who smile at you: Everyone in Colorado is so friendly! Sometimes when I was in D.C., it felt like no one would even look up from their phones long enough to not run into you when walking down the street. That could be an exaggeration, but the friendliness of everyone in Colorado is one of my favorite things about this state!
  2. More than 300 days of sunshine per year: There were weeks in D.C. when I couldn’t even get out of bed because there was no sun. It's hard to go from 300+ days of sunshine each year for most of your life to a place with such different weather! Trust me, sometimes you need a bright ball of fire shining in your face to go to class. (To the right: me staying inside in D.C.)
  3. Outdoor space to enjoy: Colorado prides itself on protecting open green space. D.C. is beautiful, but there is something special about the way Colorado protects the land around us—especially in Boulder!
  4. No humidity: Being from Colorado and not really having humidity, living somewhere that did was a big change for me! D.C. was built on a swamp, not sure who planned that but it was a bad idea if you’re not an alligator! Personally, I prefer Colorado's low humidity.

So with all that said, I really wanted to come back home because it felt like I was meant to be In CO
here. After looking at all of the colleges in Colorado, CU-Boulder was definitely my first choice.

Here's why:

1. CU-Boulder is close to Denver where my parents live, but not close enough for them to always be here.
  2. CU-Boulder's academics are great, and as a research university, I knew I would get exposure to professors who are really involved in their fields.
  3. Boulder is beautiful and has a lot going on. I really did not want to get bored or lazy, and Boulder does not allow for either of those options! (To the right: me enjoying beautiful Colorado!)
  4. I conveniently get in-state tuition here which is far cheaper than going to a private university.

Although I never planned to transfer, it became the best choice do so. Transferring seemed daunting, but at a big school like CU-Boulder, it was easy to find other people who share my interests through my involvement on campus. Moral of the story: if you don’t like where you are, then transferring is definitely worth it. Transferring to CU-Boulder was one of the best decisions I’ve made!

Cassandra
Cassandra Duchan