Published: Sept. 18, 2015

Some may think that there is some magical formula for how to succeed Treein your freshman
year of college. Some may even go as far to claim that there is a correct way to go about your first month adapting to college life. Well, I’m here to inform you all that there is no method or specific way you should go about starting your college career.
However, with the vast expanse of wisdom I have have obviously gained over these initial four weeks, I have comprised a list of 10 pieces of advice—some jovial, some serious—on what you should refrain from doing as you begin your time in university. My hope is that by the time you’ve finished reading this post, you will realize that my friends, roommates, and I have made these mistakes, so that you don’t have to.

1. First, don’t show up to class late . . . even the recitations. It’s no fun to walk into your class a couple of minutes late because you couldn’t find it, and open the classroom door right as the TA is explaining how he detests it when his students are late. How do you avoid this? Know where your classes are and how long it takes to get to them.

2. Don’t assume that you absolutely need every book on your book list. Many of them are optional to purchase. In my case, my book list was 27 books long, but after talking to my professors, it turned out that I only needed 10 of them—that saved me a lot of money.

3. Please, by all means, don’t refrain from doing your laundry. That’s just gross. Aim to do laundry once a week. Flowers

4. To follow that, don’t forget to put detergent in the machine when you do your laundry.

5. Don’t forget to introduce yourself to your professors. They have a large amount of students each semester and you don’t want to be just a number.

6. Don’t abuse the all-you-can-eat dining halls by getting four plates of food with every meal like my roommate. That’s how the freshman-fifteen becomes a reality.

7. Don’t forget to find people spend time with. It helps make college more enjoyable, and you might even find a study partner out of it!

8. Don’t be shy. During the first month of college, almost every freshman is looking to make friends. A simple “Hello!”, or “May I join you?” can help kindle some great friendships.

9. Avoid making the mistake of eating cheese-dip from a bowl, and then forgetting to wash the bowl when you’re done. The cheese will harden, and you will have to throw out the bowl.

10. Finally, don’t forget to have fun. College may be a lot more academically challenging that you might expect, but it’s also a time to find yourself. Make sure you have a fun, so as you can make up for all the work you do!

There we have it, ten things you shouldn’t do in your first month at college. I hope our mistakes have been didactic, yet entertaining. Remember, we did these for you, so that you don’t have to experience these unfortunate events. Learn from our mistakes.

Until next week!

Ben Rains
Benjamin Rains
Freshman