Published: Sept. 10, 2015

When I was a child I wanted to be a cartoon animator, an architect, a waiter, a sound Techstars
engineer, an artist, a physicist and a lot of other fancy things. I never knew exactly what I wanted to do in the future. Maybe it was because I was just so good at everything that it became impossible for me to decide on one of them. Who am I kidding, I think it was more because I had no clue what I really enjoyed the most in terms of real-job-adult-life. This is an issue. This is an issue for college students who can’t afford to stay in college for as long as their hearts desire to ensure that they are doing exactly what they want to do.

First of all, everybody must decide on a major when they arrive here. The lucky ones know themselves enough to be confident in making that decision. Then, they study here for four years or three (for those who planned everything since high school) and move on happily with their lives when they graduate. The less lucky ones like me end up making decisions that turn out to not be exactly what they thought they really wanted to do.

Yes, I was admitted to the College of Engineering as a Civil Engineering major student when I arrived here four years ago.  That is because I really thought this was what I wanted to do for a living. I knew I wanted to be an engineer, and I knew there was a fine line between civil engineering and architecture, one of my childhood dreams jobs. However, that “fine” line turned out to be thicker than I had expected. It turns out I just had no real idea exactly what it meant to be a civil engineer. I should have done my homework a lot more thoroughly. After all, we do not all want to be a super senior student, going to college for five years total (or do we?).

Nevertheless, although I am not exactly thrilled that this last fifth year will cost me extra Techstars class of 2015
college money, I am more than excited that I will get to graduate with a degree that I have found here and enjoyed so much that I decided to make it my newfound major. Indeed, in the middle of my sophomore year, I discovered the world of computer science and decided to add it as a minor (when civil engineering started to not feel like the right fit for me). Boulder, being an exciting niche for the tech industry, soon made me realize how popular and interesting this degree was. I had to make it my major and say goodbye to my first major.

As a result, I am here for an extra year and have seen a lot of my friends graduate and leave CU-Boulder for their next life adventures. However, I do not regret a thing because I know that this is the major for me. I am now a software engineering student and I am extremely glad that I got to realize it before I found myself working and wishing I had studied something else.

Louis BOUDDHOU
Louis BOUDDHOU