Published: Sept. 4, 2015

And there I was—utterly lost and mentally berating myselfThe Tribe for not ever thinking to learn any sign language.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

Hi there. My name is Lia and I am currently a senior here at CU-Boulder. I am studying accounting at Leeds School of Business, and hope to someday work abroad managing international business. How does sign language play into this? I guess you could say that my semester is off to an interesting start. Back in high school, the first week (or even month) of the semester was dismal at best. The beautiful thing about living in Boulder is that there is never really a dull moment- there is always something going on.

As I mentioned before, I have a passion for international studies and different cultures.  As a result, I am also pursuing a minor in Russian language in addition to my accounting degree. Why Russian and accounting you say? Good question. To be honest, I have no clue. I don’t have a reason for studying Russian other than the culture has always captivated me. In an effort to stay close with cultural activities, I often attend meetings for the CU Russian club (yes, CU has a Russian club). The club meets a few times a week, and does a wide variety of activities ranging from learning how to cook Russian food, to snow shoeing at the Flat Irons. This past week, the club went on a group excursion to see a Ukrainian film called The Tribe.

Live long and eat borsch.

The film was playing at this Independent theater in Boulder called the Dairy Theater. Why “Dairy” theater? Glad you asked! The building used to be an old Dairy plant (as in cows) that has now been converted to an art center that showcases movies, art galleries, and live performances.  If you have never been to the theater then I highly recommend it. Tickets are cheap (I paid $6 with a group rate) and it’s only a few blocks away from campus.

Here’s what the center (which is currently being remolded) is set to look like by next year:Dairy Arts Center

A disturbing lack of cows.

The main reason for my surprise though was not for the center, but for the movie itself. Imagine- you are sitting in a small movie theater, expecting a Ukrainian background with English subtitles. Imagine in mind? Good. Now image seeing an warning message telling you that the entirety of the film that you are about to see will have no dialect, but rather, will be presented all in sign language…

I had not done much research about the movie beforehand, and therefore had failed to realize that it was a coming of age story about a deaf teenage. In an effort to present the film more authentically, there were no spoken words. While this initially caught me off guard, it ended up being a truly wonderful experience. I have never seen a silent film…much less a film in sign language…much less a Ukrainian film in sign language. It was beautiful; utterly disturbing and beautiful. Extremely moooving (cow pun, get it?) I highly recommend it and am so glad that I got to see it.

If there is one thing that I love about going to CU, it is the new experiences that I get to take part in. There is always something going on (even the first week of school) and I am excited to see what new adventures are waiting in this coming semester.

Lia Peulen
Lia Peulen