Registering for an Internship or Co-Op Experience to receive Academic Credit
3 credits of free elective
**Please note that the Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering Department does not allow their students to receive credit for an Internship Experience**
Some departments will allow for more than 3 credits of free elective. These are listed below. Please check with your home department for more details
- Electrical Engineering - Allows for up to 6 credits of Technical Elective Credit to be applied to the degree for two separate internship experiences. (only 3 credits allowed per experience)
- Environmental Engineering - Allows for up to 3 credits of Technical Elective Credit to be applied to the degree for an internship for credit experience.
- Biomedical Engineering - Allows for up to 6 credits of Technical Elective Credit to be applied to the degree for two separate internship experiences. (only 3 credits allowed per experience)
Please note the following when applying for an Internship/Co-op Experience for credit.
- Secure internship/co-op position prior to completing the application.
- You must have a 2.00 GPA after sophomore year to apply. Continued performance at this level and completion of all freshman engineering requirements are prerequisites for beginning an internship/co-op experience.
- Students participating in the internship/co-op program are expected to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.00, be in good academic standing, and maintain satisfactory progress toward degree requirements.
- All internships for credit must be full time (40 hours per week). PART TIME work is not eligible for this program.
- A MINIMUM of 300 contact hours is required to receive the 3 credits of free elective.
- No credit will be issued for internships that are less than 300 hours, and there is no option for a 1 or 2 credit internship experience.
- International Students have different guidelines for internships/co-ops from the Office of International and Student Scholar Services (ISSS)
- International students require minimum GPA of 2.00 (per CEAS internship for credit rule)
- Must be a degree-seeking student in valid F-1 status
- Must have their internship/co-op approved by an international student advisor before the first day of work.
- International Students please check here for requirements: https://www.colorado.edu/isss/students/current-students/f-1-student-overview/curricular-practical-training-cpt
- Submit the Application for Internship/Co-Op Experience (link below). This must be completed and approved prior to the start of the internship or co-op experience!
- If completing an internship/co-op during an academic term (fall or spring) you must submit the Impact of an Internship/Co-op on Financial Aid and/or Scholarships Form before leaving on an internship/co-op assignment. This form is NOT necessary if your internship takes place during SUMMER. Please do NOT submit for a SUMMER internship or Co-Op Experience!!!! This is to make sure that any scholarships or financial aid will not be affected by your internship or co-op experience. Impact Form
- Attend a mandatory "Professionalism in the Workplace" seminar with your departmental coordinator prior to departing on the internship/co-op experience.
- A student evaluation of the experience are due the first day of classes following the work session unless otherwise specified by the Coordinator. Students not submitting these materials will receive a grade of “Incomplete” and if not completed within one year the grade will convert to an “F”.
- The registration fees are due in the Bursar’s Office by the deadline specified by the University. If not received by this deadline, a late fee will be assessed.
- Failure to register and pay the required fee means that the internship/co-op experience cannot be used for credit.
- If internship credit is desired and for all co-op experiences, report the intent to register for credit by filling out the webform below.
The following is the information needed to submit an internship/co-op application. Be sure to have all this information on hand before starting the application process.
Please note that submitting this application does not guarantee eligibility for credit for an internship or co-op experience. The academic plan must be approved prior to the student being registered for the experience.
- Student Name
- Expected Date of Graduation
- Class Standing
- Student ID
- Campus E-Mail
- Cumulative GPA
- Registering for an Internship or Co-Op Experience
- How many credits (3 or 6) (3 credits = min of 300 hours work, 6 credits = min of 600 hours work). Generally speaking you will register for 3 credits unless you need to be half time status for your financial aid situation during an academic term (usually this applies to co-op positions). Even if you are a EE or a BME student, you will not be able to receive 6 credits for one internship experience, it needs to be two separate internship experiences.
- Company name
- Supervisor name
- Supervisor e-mail
- Supervisor will provide information on these questions
- Explain how the intern will be oriented to the workplace and be able to understand duties as they relate to the overall organization strategies and goals.
- How and on what duties will the intern be trained?
- What will supervision look like? Are there multiple supervisors or wil the student primarily report to you?
- How often will you be evaluating the student employee?
- What method will be used for evaluations?
Information about the Internship/Co-Op
- Position title
- Start date
- End date
- Planned hours work/week
- Salary (per hour/per week/per month)
- Describe the nature of your position and/or your duties
- What do you hope to learn from this experience?
- How are you going to accomplish your educational objectives? Discuss projects, readings, writings, etc.
Please DO NOT click on the button below to apply for an internship or co-op until you are ready to submit your application. When you click on the link it will open a DocuSign document to complete the information listed above. There is no need to click on it until you are ready to complete the application. All the required information is listed above! Once you complete the form and submit, the form will be routed to the supervisor you listed, the departmental coordinator, and finally the college coordinator for approval. Once all approvals are received, the college coordinator will email you to let you know your application has been approved and provide you with a permission number to register.
Apply for Internship or Co-Op for Credit
For further information please contact Sharon.E.Anderson@Colorado.Edu for domestic experiences or Andrew.Wingfield@Colorado.Edu for international experiences.