Preferences Over The Characteristics of Economics
Top 50 Departments
Top 50 Economics Departments in the U.S.:
The following studies were utilized to identify the Top 50 Economics Departments:
- U.S. News and World Report. For the U.S. News and World Report ranking of U.S. economics departments click here.
- Kalaitzidakis, Mamuneas, and Stengos. For the Kalaitzidakis, Mamuneas, and Stengos rankings of U.S. economics departments click here.
- Dusansky-Vernon. For the Dusansky-Vernon ranking of U.S. economics departments click here.
Concatenation of these three studies produced a final list of the following 57 departments (excluding the University of Colorado, it was used for pre-testing):
- Top 5 (in alphabetical order)- Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northwestern University, University of Chicago, and University of Pennsylvania
- 6 - 10 - New York University, Princeton University, Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, and Yale University
- 11 - 15 - Columbia University, Cornell University, University of California-Los Angeles, University of California-San Diego, and University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- 16 - 20 - Boston University, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Rochester, University of Texas-Austin, and University of Wisconsin
- 21 - 30 - Brown University, California Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University, Duke University, Michigan State University, Ohio State University, University of Illinois-Urbana, University of Maryland, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Southern California
- 31 - 40 - Dartmouth University, Johns Hopkins University, Pennsylvania State University, University of California-Davis, University of Florida, University of Iowa, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, University of Virginia, University of Washington, and Washington University-St. Louis
- 41 - 50 - Boston College, Georgetown University, Indiana University-Bloomington, Iowa State, North Carolina State University, Purdue University, Rice University, Rutgers State University, State University of New York-Albany, Southern Methodist, Texas A&M University, University of Arizona, University of California-Irvine, University of California-Santa Barbara, University of Houston, Vanderbilt University, and Virginia Polytechnic Institute
*Note: The above groupings are based on the the Kalaitzidakis, Mamuneas, and Stengos (KMS) rankings and are listed in alphabetical order within each group; universities not in the KMS study, but Top 50 in one of the other studies are listed in the 41 - 50 group.View Results:
Home page for faculty study Summary statistics on individual salary data in the public record Summary statistics on average salary by rank and department View Choice Question Survey and Results
Contact me via email | Home Page | Top of Page
Last Update: 06-07-04