Audio and Video and
Assignment due on Friday: Come to class on Friday,
March 11, with a short description of the larger goal
and focus of your next website. (40 points)
1 Laura's Image Slideshow
2.. Converting CD audio files into "wave" or "mp3" files
You can use CDex to convert CD audio files
to Wave or MP3 files.
2. Software for editing and creating sound files
- Audacity 1.2.3.
- Windows Media Encoder
- Sound Forge
3. . Sound recording using a microphone with Windows
Testing sound file
- Record sounds from a microphone or CD
using Windows Media Encoder
- When you are recording sounds, make sure you
configure the "Device options" to the source
you want to record from.
- You can record from "aux", "CD player",
"line-in", or "microphone".
- You can make short recordings right off of
a CD in your computer by selecting the
"microphone" as your record source.
30 second "Let it Be" sound Bite
second "Let it Be" sound Bite
second "Ryan Cox" Piano
60 second "Ryan Cox" Piano
20 second "Jazz" sound Bite
- When you are recording music here, you are actually recording music off of your microphone. So try to reduce feedback if you want the sound file to be clear on the web.
- Record simple voice recordings at lower
resolution than complex musical recording.
3. Example of code to add background sound to a
webpage on opening that page:
- This webpage with automatic
- <bgsound src="jazz.wma" loop="1" >
- Put this code near the top of the Body tag <body>
the code for this on this webpage (View source)
- Be careful adding background music when the
page first opens. It can be annoying to hear
this music every time you open the page.
4. Example of Historical Audio placed on the web:
Describes the Vietnam war as
not worth fighting
of page with simple noise effects
3. The Place of Audio files in websites.
- Music or MP3 sites
- Background sounds
- Special effects
- Flash presentations
- Recoded speeches
- Live press conferences and audio performances.
- Web radio
- Internet Chats
4. Putting video files on a webpage
- Typical Video File Formats for the Web
- QuickTime Movie (.mov)
- AVI Video file (.avi)
- MPEG3 (.mpg)
- ASF video file (.asf)
2. Streaming Video Players for the Web
5. Quick Time Movies on the Web
QuickTime Movies on the Web
Movie Clips on the Web
High Quality Content with Windows
- If you can't run these movies, you need
and install QuickTime Player
- QuickTime Movie
Trailers on the Web
6. Using Dreamweaver to Insert Movies and Sound
onto a webpage (See class handouts for
information about settings).
- In Dreamweaver, select "Insert" and select
"Media" and then select "plug-in."
- Remember to set the parameters for your
movie by clicking the "parameters" and
then selecting how you want your movie to
- In some cases, you will need to select the
name of the plug-in that the computer will
need to run the movie. For example,
the plug-in for Quick Time movies is
- See the handout for a list of parameters to
set for running video on a webpage
- Link to Spider
Man 2 Movie Trailer
- Star Wars III Trailer : finding the ".mov" URL in order to link the trailer to your webapge.
--Actual Star Wars Trailer
- Examples of Movie Trailers added to a webpage
1. Matrix Reloaded
2. Starsky and Hutch
3. Alien vs. Predator
4. Spider Man 2
- Look at the source code of any of my trailer
pages and look at the source code for a movie
trailer on quicktime to understand what parts
of the quicktime movie trailer source code I
needed to copy to have the trailer load in
my own website.
- The secret to this trick is to make sure you copy the URL
for the quicktime movie, which should always end with ".mov" and then paste this URL into the code of your own webpage.
- See wmovies.htm for example of Running
6. Splash pages
- Example of basic Splash Page
- Basic Splash Page
- Splash Demo Page
- Redirecting webpages
- Splash Pages May Drown your Site
7.. Putting it all together: Movies, Sound, and
- This is a complex site that uses mouseovers and
rollovers to play movies, sound, and animated gif files.
- They used Flash to create and run this site.
and simple mouseover tricks. It used Flash to
make all these features work seamlessly together.