& Getting your Site Noticed
Assignment: (Do after Class)
1. Using the following Code as a guide,
create "meta tags" for one of your webpages.
You can copy this source code off a stripped-down
version of my home page: exmeta.htm
Design Home Page</title>
for the Arts and Humanities.How
to create, edit,
and revise internet websites. Web design principles
digital design, creating websites, editing
designing websites, web design principles,
designing for the internet">
content="Chris H. Lewis, Ph.D.">
content="2001, Chris H. Lewis,
<meta name= "Robots" content= "All">
2. Make sure that you put your "webpage title"
"meta tags" just below the <head> tag.
3. Practice using this "meta tag maker":
Dr Clue's Metatag Maker
4. Practice creating meta tags and placing them
into some of of your webpage's HTML code.
5. After adding the "meta tags" to your webpage,
test it using Meta
Medic "Metatag Checker" to see
if your meta tags are properly done.
6. Go to your favorite Search Engine and call up
a product like "shampoo." Go to some of these
webpages and check to see what "meta tags"
in their page. This can often give you ideas about
"meta tags" for your own webpages.
1. I will start grading your image websites on Wednesday .
Make sure that your image website is up and running by
Wednesday. If you are still having trouble using FTP to
load your pages on the web, please come see me during
my office hours or make a special appointment to come
see my at another time. Please send me the new URL
for your Design Portfolio page if you were transferred to
the www.cclewis.com server or if you have changed the
URL address for your portfolio webpage.
Please check by Wednesday to make sure that I have the proper URL on the Students' Web Design Portfolio webpage.
2. Summarizing the "CRAP" Design principles.
3. Creating a window within a window effect
without using a frameset
- See Ipath Footwear as a good example
- Using IFrame to put a webpage within a layer
- Example of webpage within a layer
- In order to make sure you don't have a
horizontal scrolling bar, you need to make the
secondary webpage no wider than the width of
your window frame. See example: scroll7.htm
- If it isn't window frame isn't wide enough, you will get a horiztonal scrolling bar, as you do with my second example: scroll8.htm
2. a) Top Flash Gallery
The Top 100 Web Sites
Weinman's Inspirational Websites
2. Learning to create Flash websites
- Website # 4: Flash Banner Ad on April 21
- Example of Flash Banner ad: Enn.com
- Online Flash Tutorials
3. Getting your Site noticed by Search Engines
4. How do Search Engines Work
5. Creating Meta Tags
6. Submitting your site to Search Engines
7. Putting a Search Tool on your website
Engine Software For Your Web Site
to Site Search Tools
Search to your Website
Fundamentals of Quality Search
e) Free Website Search Engine Tool
8 . Summary of registering Websites with Search Engine
Make sure that you have a clear title that
describes what your webpage is about and
what content it contains.
Use "keywords" in your title that describe your
webpage and its content.
Make sure you have a clear "description" that
in a sentence or two describes your webpage
and its content.
Make sure you use lowercase letters for the
"keywords" that describe your webpage. For
example, "guitar" not "GUITAR."
Check the keywords that other similar webpages
use in their "Meta tags."
Go to your favorite "Search Engines" and use
some of the keywords you are considering using
to search for websites. Do you come up with
websites similar to your own?
Try to use one of your keywords for the name
of the link to the website.
Make sure that your webpage "title" and
"description" and "keywords" are at the
beginning of your webpage.
Don't try to "stuff" your keywords by repeating
certain keywords a large number of times,
such as repeating "web design" over thirty
times in your "keywords."
Make sure that you have "date created" and
"date modified" on your webpage. A more
current website should be treated as more useful.
Try not to use more than ten or fifteen keywords
or phrases in your "keyword Meta tag."
Use keyword phrases between 2 to 3 words
long. One word keywords tend to be more
competitive and arenít usually as effective.
Limit the total number of characters in your
"keywords" to less than 254. Some search
engines penalize for having too many keywords.
Don't use irrelevant but popular keywords to
get your site noticed. For example, many web
junkies put "Pamela Lee Anderson" as a
keyword knowing that this was one of the
most popular "search phrases."
- Make sure that every webpage has "Meta tags"
that include "description," "keywords,"
"language," "copyright," "robots",
and your "e-mail address."
Clue's Metatag Maker