Learning Web Design
Assignment: Come to class on Fridday with a short description of your experience using computers, your personal goals for this class, and the kinds of websites that you want to learn how to design.
*New Course feature for Spring 2006:
Each student will be allotted 500
megs of space on this website:
1. What are the basic elements of web design?
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Web Usability
- HTML Coding
2. What is Professor Lewis' web design philosophy?
3. What is the goal of this "Introductory Projects" course?
4. How do I sign-up for the Digital Design
5. Examples of cool Flash websites:
6. Examples of Basic websites that we will learn how to create in the beginning section:
7. Subscribe to the Digital Design e-mail list
11. Follow directions to creating a CU-Boulder
Website Creation at CU-Boulder
What users need to do:- To publish personal web pages, users just start adding files to their public_html directory. Most people use a form of secure FTP to transfer files. Logins to the shell and using a unix editor will also continue to work.- Home Page files belong in the folder:
/home/culogin/public_html - The URL to the home page is, for example:
http://ucsut.colorado.edu/~culogin- For help in finding this information, students can go to PLUS and look under "E-mail & Passwords," then "Getting Started with E-mail and Computing Accounts."- In order to use the URL http://webhost.colorado.edu/~culogin,
the user will need to have a file named index.html in their public_html directory. Otherwise, URL's will need to be in the form of http://webhost.colorado.edu/~culogin/myfile.html. The user is responsible for uploading or creating an index.html file.NOTE: A small number of filenames can also be used for this purpose; they are defined in the web server. While we encourage using index.html, currently allowed names are (this is subject to change):
index.html index.shtml Index.html index.xhtml Home.html home.html index.cgi index.htm Home.htm home.htm
12. Instructions for using FTP software at
13. How to create a Home Page on your CU account.