and Editing Flash Movies
Assignment for Monday, April 10:
come to class with
URLs to the Flash websites and Flash banner ads
that you want to use as models for designing your
Practice creating short Flash movies
using motion tweens, symbols, and sound. Practice
rotating, easing, and changing the tint and alpha
of symbol objects.
1. Image Websites
- Image websites were due on Friday. Some of
you still need to put links to your image websites
on your portfolio pages.
- See Basic Elements of a Web page for
2. Your 4th website, a Flash Banner Ad, is
due on April 21st.
Flash banner ad
- USAToday Flash
- LATimes Flash banner
2 Flash Banner Ads websites
- Tips for Making Flash Banner Ads
- Flash Banner Ads Example
- Additional Flash Banner Ads
- Flash Banner Ads -- a Portfolio
- Google: Flash Ad Banners
2. Students' Favorite Flash sites
- Advanced Studios.com
2. Examples of simple Flash Movies
Spot lighting a scene
Introduction to Sewall
2.Easing In and Out movement in Flash
- See ease.swf
- Look at ease.fla
- Ease In (-100) -- means that the motion starts off
and then speeds up.
- Ease Out (+100) --means that the motion starts out going fast and then slows down
- Notice that you get set easing between -100 and
- You can use easing to make some objects
seem to go faster than other objects.
3. Creating Flash Movies
- Use sewflash.fla for in-class example .
- Create a Flash Movie and create a few layers.
use images from A
Photo Tour of Sewall
- Create a number of shape symbols that we are
going to store in the Flash Library.
- Make sure you give each of these symbols
identifiable names so that you can tell them
- Now open the Flash library for this individual movie.Each movie has its own unique Flash library of symbols.
- You can drag and drop various instances of the
symbols in new layers.
- The Flash library is an easy, efficient way to
store and edit flash symbols for your Flash movies.
- In addition to storing flash symbols in your Flash library, you can edit Flash symbols in the library that will effect every instance of that symbol in your Flash movie.
- By using various effect, shape, and motion tweens on symbols in different layers, you can create a complex Flash movie with only a few symbols, which cuts down on the final size of the Flash movie.
3. Editing and choreographing Flash movies
Just as in a real movie, in Flash we have a stage
upon which the director needs to choreograph
the actions in each frame.
We can add sound and movies as elements in a
How the director organizes and lays out the
elements across the layers of a Flash movie
determines the action and artistry of the movie.
In Flash, just like in real movies, the stage consists
of moving symbols and elements that move in
relation to each other.
The real skill involved in Flash is choreographing
these elements into a coherent action that tells
Without organization and choreography, a Flash
movie would be a bunch of jumbled elements that
move in an incoherent mass.
The real power of Flash lies in the choreographed
movements of each scene.
Like a director, a Flash producer must create a
set of symbols, lay out their actions, and then
choreograph them with each other.
4. Using Macromedia Exchange to add "Extentions"
to Flash MX
- Download extenstions to your computer and
put these files in your download folder
- In Flash, go to the "Help" Menu and select
- In Macromedia Extensions Manager , select
- You can use Macromedia Extensions Manager to
add extensions to Fireworks and Dreamweaver.
5. Publishing your Flash Movie to the web
- In Flash, go to "Publish Settings" and determine
the settings for your Flash movies.
- Now select "Publish" and Flash will create
files: 1) flash.swf file and a 2) flash.html file
- Copy both the "swf file" and the "html" file onto
- The Flash movie plays on the web by playing
in the "html file" created by Flash.
- You can edit the name and features of this
"html file" using Dreamweaver.
5. Inserting Flash movies into existing Webpages
- In Dreamweaver, create a layer to put your
Flash movie in.
- Select "Insert" and choose "Media" and then
- Notice that in Dreaweaver, you can modify the
way your Flash movies runs within this webpage.
- I want you to create a Flash banner ad that will
go into one of your webpages.
- See OAR
webpage with moving Flash banner.
- See my
OAR Flash movie webpage
- Macromedia Flash Support Center
- Flash Bible.com
- Flash Tools and Software
- Flash Jester: Flash Tools
- Action Script.com: Flash Tools