Lia's brother at the art museumNothing to do on a Saturday? Why not head down to Denver to go to the art museum? The Denver Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the West. It’s been around forever, and a really great place to go if you like that kind of thing.

I am in no way an art aficionado, but I have always felt comforted going to museums and learning all that I can about art and the history surrounding different artists. My favorite artist of all time is Van Gogh. His paintings are beautiful, but I am even more in awe of the story surrounding his life. Today, he is praised as being one of the greatest artists of all time, but when he was alive his talent was never appreciated. He barely managed to sell one painting, and died thinking that he was a failure…dark, I know. The tragedy of his life is tremendously interesting to me though, and I love learning about that kind of stuff.

While there wasn’t any Van Gogh in Denver when I went, there were a huge number of other collections that were equally as interesting. The Denver Art Museum has a plethora of Native American collections that are both beautiful and thought-provoking. Getting to the museum is also a breeze for college students. First, get on a bus to Denver. RTD has a fleet of Flatiron Flyers (schnazzy name, I know) that depart regularly from CU-Boulder to Downtown Denver. We get free bus services as college students too, which is great. Once in Denver, you simply need to get on the free mall shuttle that takes you up and down 16th street mall downtown. After about a 15 minutes mall ride, you need to walk a short distance to your destination…it’s really very easy! The mall itself also offers great deals for students. Colorado resident college students only have to pay $8, and non-resident students only have to pay $10! The museum also has a deal where the first Saturday of the month is a free day…so you don’t have to pay a thing to get in!

Art enthusiast or not, the Denver Art Museum is a great place to go for a weekend in Denver.

Lia

Lia Peulen