Secondary Menu

You are here


Anyone intending to use controlled substances for research or teaching must be registered with the DEA, using DEA Form 225. There is an on-line registration option and a paper registration option. (The paper registration option MUST be used if you are applying to use Schedule I drugs, including marijuana.  Schedule I applications must include a research protocol; for guidance, see

Instructions for completing DEA Form 225 can be found at  Be sure to note the following (bullets 3 and 4 may appear to diverge from the instructions but are essential): 

  • Be sure to use Form 225 for initial registration.
  • For the “Select One Business Activity” option, select “Researcher.”
  • CU personnel are State employees, and are not required to pay the registration fee.  Check the "exempt" box and indicate the following as the certifying institutional official:  Dr. Joseph Rosse, Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Integrity, 26 UCB, 303-735-5809. 
  • The State of Colorado no longer issues state licenses to researchers, so leave Section 4 (State Licenses) blank.

Maintaining Registrations

Researchers must renew their DEA registrations annually. The renewal process is described at  Be sure to follow the instructions above regarding checking the "exempt" box.

A copy of the annual or renewal registration should be sent to:

Tracy Giordano
Office of Research Integrity
3100 Marine Street, ARC Rm A15
563 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309

University of Colorado Boulder
© Regents of the University of Colorado
PrivacyLegal & Trademarks