Boulder city officials today announced that the annual Ralphie’s Independence Day Blast is canceled due to extremely dry conditions in and around Boulder. The fireworks show had been scheduled for Folsom Field on Wednesday, July 4.
“Public safety was our primary concern in deciding to cancel the fireworks show. Given the current fire in south Boulder, along with fires in neighboring cities and extremely dry conditions, the public safety risk to the Boulder community is significant,” said Boulder City Manager Jane S. Brautigam. “The fire marshal has been monitoring conditions around Folsom Field since early June, and our wildland fire crews have been on daily patrols to prevent wildfires. Given the dangers and Colorado’s statewide fire restrictions, it would be irresponsible to launch 4,000 fireworks over the city this year.”
Boulder Fire Marshal Dave Lowrey said firefighting crews need to remain focused on the current fire. Even if that situation improves, the lack of rain over the past month and the forecasts for continued hot, dry weather would make it very challenging for crews to quickly douse an escaped firework that landed in a dry field.
“We know it’s disappointing to celebrate the Fourth of July without fireworks, but it would be a real tragedy if we went forward and someone’s home caught fire as a result,” Lowrey said.
Lowrey cautioned that individuals should not set off fireworks on their own; it is illegal for individuals to possess or use fireworks within the City of Boulder.
“While it’s disappointing that conditions warrant canceling the fireworks display, public safety is the first priority,” said Lew Kingdom of Wright Kingdom Real Estate, primary sponsor of the event. “The Associates of Wright Kingdom continue to be proud sponsors of Ralphie’s Independence Day Blast, and we’re looking forward to bringing back an amazing show next year.”
Sarah Huntley, City of Boulder Media Relations, 303-441-3155
Bronson Hilliard, CU, 303-735-6183
Cindy Schlager, Wright Kingdom Real Estate, 303-541-1928