International Students

We welcome applications for summer study at CU Boulder from qualified international students. You qualify as an international applicant if you already have, or will be applying for, a temporary U.S. visa such as F-1 and J-1. If you are a United States citizen, a permanent resident, an asylee or refugee, you are not considered international and should follow the standard application process for undergraduate and graduate admissions.

Once at CU Boulder, you must enroll as a full-time student in order to maintain your F-1 status. For summer undergraduates, full-time is considered 6 credit hours; for summer graduate students, full-time is 3 credit hours. If you have questions about the program or the application process, we encourage you to contact

International Degree-Seeking

If you are a degree-seeking international student, visit the New Students section website to get more information on how to apply to undergraduate and graduate programs at the university.

International Nondegree or Guest

Visiting students from around the world come to CU Boulder each year to experience American culture and take advantage of world-class courses. If you are interested in taking summer undergraduate or graduate classes as a nondegree international student, you should apply to the university through the Visiting International Student Program (VISP). Please visit the VISP enrollment page for complete application instructions. If accepted to the program, you will receive notice via email. The university can then provide assistance in obtaining an I-20 form to apply for a F1 student visa.

Once Admitted as an International Student

As an international student, you will experience many new and exciting challenges while at CU Boulder. International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), located within the Office of International Education, is an excellent resource for you throughout your time at CU Boulder. ISSS staff can help you adjust to life on campus and guide you through immigration regulations and academic requirements. We encourage you to contact an international advisor at +1-303-492-8057 or email to get more information or answers to your questions.

Friendly Reminder: All admitted international students in F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant status are required to complete the immigration check-in process with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). Visit the Admitted/New Students page on the ISSS website for detailed information about session times, locations, and what to bring.

International Student Tuition Payment

If you are a sponsored student whose tuition and fees are paid to the university by a sponsoring agency, you must provide (by mail or email) documentary evidence of that sponsorship and a billing authorization in the form of a financial guarantee or support letter to the two offices below before you enroll in classes:

Bursar’s Office
Sponsorships Account Coordinator
Regent Administrative Center 150
University of Colorado Boulder
12 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0012

Office: +1-303-492-5381

Office of Admissions
University of Colorado Boulder
3100 Marine Street, Suite A122
65 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0065


Office: +1-303-492-6301


If you are not a sponsored student, you must be prepared to pay Summer Session tuition and fees at the time you enroll in classes. For more information about the summer tuition rates and payment process, visit the Tuition and Financial Aid section.