You are here

International Students

International students are those who already have, or will be applying for, a temporary U.S. visa such as an F-1 or J-1. All permanent residents, asylees, and refugees are not considered international students. If you have established permanent resident status in the United States and have an alien registration number, or if you have submitted the Form I-485 to the Department of Homeland Security in application for permanent residency status and have received a receipt for the form, you are not considered an international student.

International Degree Applicants

Refer to the New Degree Students section for information on becoming a degree-seeking student.

International Nondegree Applicants

CU-Boulder welcomes visiting students from around the world. Experience American culture and take advantage of a world-class university. International students who are requesting a form I-20 (for an F-1 visa) are required to take 6 credits to be a full-time student at the undergraduate level and 3 credits to be a full-time student at the graduate level for the summer. Academic advisors are available to help you select classes. For additional information email

For more information on getting started as a nondegree Summer Session student, please visit the Continuing Education international student resources website.

Note: International nondegree applicants are admitted for summer only and not for a full degree program at CU-Boulder. If you are interested in pursuing a degree at CU-Boulder, please see International Degree Applicants.

After Being Admitted as an International Student

All international students in F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant status are required to complete the immigration check-in process with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). For the times, location, and what to bring, please see the details below.

After you arrive in Boulder, you must complete the immigration check-in at one of the times listed. The staff at ISSS will register you in SEVIS, the government tracking system for students on F-1 or J-1 visas, and also talk with you about information you will need as a new international student.

Please bring the following items for yourself and any dependents to the immigration reporting session:

  • passport
  • DS-2019 and proof of your health insurance for J-1 students
  • I-20 for F-1 students
  • I-94
  • address where you are staying
  • a signed Responsibilities Contract for International Students available at in Forms and Handouts.

Immigration check-in sessions for new summer students will be held at the Center for Community building on the following days and times (choose a time and allow 1 1/2 hours):

        For those starting in June: Wednesday, June 3 at 2 pm
        For those starting in July: Thursday, July 9 at 2 pm

Note: All international students who are starting their program in the summer must be enrolled as full-time students in the summer term. Summer undergraduate students must take at least 6 credit hours and summer graduate students must take at least 3 credit hours (Graduate School rules for full-time status apply).

Dropping below a full course of study without prior approval from ISSS will result in the immediate termination of your immigration status. While students are permitted to take distance education (online) courses, only a maximum of 3 credits in the summer can be counted toward full-time enrollment and the distance education class cannot be the only class in which you are enrolled.

If you have questions about these requirements, ask an international advisor in advance! If you have questions, please contact ISSS, located in the Office of International Education, Center for Community, Room S355 (phone 303-492-8057 or email

If you are a sponsored student whose tuition and fees are paid to the university by a sponsoring agency, you must provide (by mail or email) documentary evidence of that sponsorship and a billing authorization in the form of a financial guarantee or support letter to the address below before you enroll in classes:

Bursar’s Office
Sponsorships Account Coordinator
Regent Administrative Center 150
University of Colorado Boulder
12 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0012


Also, send a copy of the documents to:

Office of Admissions
University of Colorado Boulder
3100 Marine Street, Suite A122
65 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0065

If you are not a sponsored student, you must be prepared to pay summer session tuition and fees at the time you enroll in classes.