University of Colorado
BMES and Colorado Bioscience Association (CBA) Mentor Program
What is CBSA?
- Mission: Our mission is to support the regional bioscience community through advocacy, resources, and advancement of opportunities for collaboration.
- Overview: Founded in 2003 and represents 350 biotech, pharma, med device, and diagnostic companies across Colorado
- Areas of Focus: Leadership and advocacy, business solutions, economic development, and education
Overview of the program
The purpose of this program is to pair junior/senior level university students with an etablisehd professional in their field of study. They can help students with professional development, career advice and guidance, networking, and workforce pipeline development. Students rate the CBSA program 4.4/5 because more than 63% of jobs are obtained through personal networking.
- Kickoff meeting as a group (October)
- Volunteer event at Project C.U.R.E.
- 1-2 professional development trainings (Design COntrols, Risk-Based Design, soft skills)
- Company tours
- Inividual meetings with mentor
- End-of-year meeting as a group (March)
Time commitment: The minimum time commitment is 1-2 hours/month and the extra time is left up to the individual mentor-mentee relationship.
Participant Companies: Covidien, Medtronic, Amgen, OHD Bioscience, dBMed, Siva Therapeutics
Participant Universities: University of Colorado at Boulder, University of Colorado at Denver, School of Mines, Colorado State University, University of Denver
How to get involved!
CBSA Mentor Program Co-Coordinator: Ben Noe, Project Manager at Covidien
Send an email to Ben with the following information:
- Degree program(s)
- Desired industry (Pharmaceuticals, Medical Devices, etc.)
- Career aspirations
Next Weekly Meeting InformationWhen: Wed, Dec. 10, 6 PM
Where: ECCR 139
Join us for a end of semester celebration! Even if you are busy with finals, stop by to get free food!
Next Design Meeting InformationWhen: Thurs, Dec. 11, 6:30 - 8 PM
Where: ECCR 139
SponsorsIndustry Advisory Council-Department of Mechanical Engineering
Colorado Engineering Dean's office