You are here

Reporting Options

A report of sexual misconduct may be pursued in different ways. A victim may pursue a criminal process, a University process, both processes, or neither process. A victim may pursue both the CU-Boulder process through the Office of Student Conduct or the Office of Discrimination and Harassment and the criminal process simultaneously.  In addition, students may file a Title IX complaint with the Office of Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education. A victim may also decline to notify authorities. 

Reporting can be confidential, or it can be reported in a way that will initiate an investigation and follow-up. There are occasions when University employees may have an obligation to proceed even without a victim’s participation, but a victim is not required to participate in any University process.

In some cases, it may be important to preserve evidence necessary for the proof of an occurrence, or to obtain a protection order. Especially in the first 72 hours after sexual assault, medical concerns like pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections (STI) or injuries may be important to address. 

Interim measures such no-contact orders, changes in class schedule, adjustments to housing and living situations, changes to work schedules and situations, changes in transportation, or visitation, access, or activity restrictions are available regardless of whether an individual chooses to participate in any criminal or university process.

Where to Report

Within the CU Boulder system, a Complainant is the person making the allegations of sexual misconduct, and a Respondent is the person against whom allegations have been made.  The identity of the respondent determines whether the Office of Student Conduct (OSC) or the Office of Discrimination and Harassment (ODH) handles the case. 

  • When the respondent is a CU-Boulder student at the time of the incident, the OSC provides a student conduct process for investigating those cases whether they occur on or off campus.  To report an occurrence of sexual misconduct, contact the Office of Student Conduct (OSC), 303-492-5550
  • In cases where the respondent is a CU-Boulder employee, those cases are handled by the ODH.  To report an occurrence of sexual misconduct, contact the Office of Discrimination and Harassment (ODH), 303-492-2127
  • When the respondent is both a CU-Boulder student and a CU-Boulder employee, the two offices may work together to resolve the case
  • When the respondent is neither a student nor an employee, CU-Boulder can still assist a complainant with counseling and other support services  
  • Important guidelines and information on filing a report can be found here.

Parties who are uncertain about which office to contact may call either office.  Both the OSC and the ODH will ensure the report is reviewed promptly and appropriately. 

Confidential Reporting To seek assistance following intimate partner abuse, sexual assault, sexual harassment and stalking, or other sexual misconduct, all information will be held in confidence by the Office of Victim Assistance (OVA), 303-492-8855,, or confidential reporting.

Report to the University To report intimate partner abuse, sexual assault, sexual harassment and stalking, or other sexual misconduct, contact one of the following:

Report to Law Enforcement A victim of sexual misconduct may report directly to law enforcement: 

Report to Boulder Community Resources

Guidelines for Filing a Complaint of Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment or Discrimination or Harassment Based on Gender or Sex, including Intimate Partner Abuse and Gender-Based or Sex- Based Stalking

Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Center For Community S430
031 UCB
Boulder, CO, 80309-0031
Phone: (303) 492-8476
University of Colorado Boulder
© Regents of the University of Colorado
PrivacyLegal & Trademarks