Who is my advisor?

Each college and school has its own advising program and advisors are assigned differently in each. For example, if you are in the College of Arts and Sciences and have declared a major, you will be assigned a primary advisor in that department. However, if you are in the Leeds School of Business, you will be randomly assigned to one the academic advisors in the Office of Undergraduate Student Services, suite 115 in the Koelbel building.

When is the first day of classes for the semester, and when is graduation?

To find important dates such as the first day of classes, finals, and commencement, go to academic calendar

How can I find out about nondegree, continuing education, online, evening, or night courses?

The Division of Continuing Education at CU-Boulder offers the following services:

  • distance learning via the Internet
  • independent study and courses on-line
  • correspondence courses for credit toward a degree
  • evening undergraduate courses for credit
  • classes for nondegree students on a space-available basis
  • noncredit courses

Call 303-492-5148 or 1-800-331-2801 for specific course listings or a course catalog, or check out the Continuing Education web site at www.colorado.edu/conted/.

When is orientation for new freshmen and new transfer students?

The dates for new student orientation programs vary by the college or school in which you’re enrolled, and obviously, by the semester you enter. Some colleges offer a choice of orientation dates during the summer, while others have a single date in August when all new students are required to attend orientation. For specific dates and additional information, see www.colorado.edu/prospective/afteradmission.

Does everyone graduate together or does each college have its own commencement exercises? Does she need to buy a “gown” or are they rented? What time is graduation?

There is a large main ceremony for all graduates held in Folsom Field in May and in the Coors Events Center in December. The ceremony lasts about one and a half hours. Individual departments and colleges also have their own recognition ceremonies either the day before or following the main ceremony.

You can visit the commencement web site at www.colorado.edu/Chancellor/Commencement for more information, including the phone number of your daughter’s department. Reservations are not needed for the large ceremony. Details concerning individual departmental recognition ceremonies vary. Please contact the departmental office for details.

Undergraduates purchase their regalia for the ceremony from the CU Book Store, located on the lower level of the University Memorial Center (UMC). They can also purchase it online at http://cubooks.colorado.edu/graduation/caps/index.html. The current cost to purchase regalia is $24.95 and includes cap, gown, and degree tassel.

Master’s, PhD, and Law Graduates: For information on renting your graduation cap and gown, check the commencement web site for location and cost. This information can also be found on the CU Book Store’s web site.

How can I get an official CU transcript?

The way to get a transcript is to use our online ordering system. Get instructions and order transcripts online at registrar.colorado.edu/students/transcripts.html.

To comply with the Federal Privacy Law, described on the Web at registrar.colorado.edu/Support/privacy.htm, all transcript requests must be made by the student; no requests can be accepted from a third party.

There are additional ways to order rush transcripts for a fee. For complete details about ordering an official transcript, visit theregistrar.colorado.edu/Support/Transcripts.htm.

How do I get a tutor or other help in my classes?

If you live in the residence halls, tutors are available to you at no charge. You can find out about this at your residence hall front desk or by calling the Academic Support Assistance Program of the Department of Housing at 303-492-0640.

Undergraduate engineering students are also eligible for free tutoring sponsored by the College of Engineering and Applied Science. For more information, contact the Engineering Peer Advocates at peer_adv@ucsu.colorado.edu, 303-492-0828, or visit their office in ECCR 263.

Student Academic Services Center (SASC) also provides free tutoring through expert-led study groups in certain subjects for SASC-eligible students. To determine whether you qualify, call the tutor coordinator at 303-492-8761.

Or you can go to SASC’s Tutor Locator web site at masala.colorado.edu/tutors/ where you can search for tutors by subject. This site lists tutors who have registered with academic and student services departments. SASC also offers workshops and other services which you can check out at: www.colorado.edu/SASC/.

I’m a big Buff fan. Where can I find out about all the football and basketball games?

You can find out all about CU teams at www.cubuffs.com, including game schedules, ticket information, and the latest headlines about all of the intercollegiate sports at CU-Boulder — women’s and men’s. Go Buffs!

What kind of club sports are available at CU?

Students at CU-Boulder can participate in a variety of clubs and intramural sports, including baseball, cycling, lacrosse, soccer, tennis, volleyball, and wrestling through the recreation center.

To read more about these groups, go to the Recreation Center web site.

Are there fraternities and sororities?

Yes; approximately 3,000 students (12-15 percent of undergraduates) are involved in fraternities and sororities.  For more information, contact the Panhellenic Association or the Interfraternity Council at 303-492-6359.

What kind of recreation facilities do you have at CU-Boulder?

Our Recreation Services are absolutely the best. You can check out the center’s facilities and programs online at www.colorado.edu/rec-center/.

Will I be able to find students at CU-Boulder who practice the same religion?

You can visit www.colorado.edu/studentgroups/ to see a comprehensive list of student groups on campus that includes both religious groups as well as different national groups.

What kinds of student activities are available?

Students can participate in a wide variety of activities on the Boulder campus, including approximately 300 clubs and organizations ranging from a cappella singing groups to zen societies. CU-Boulder’s student government controls one of the largest student union budgets in the country—more than $24 million—and offers a variety of paid, elected and volunteer positions. Sports are also available at the intramuralclub, and varsity levels.

What are the most popular majors at CU-Boulder?

The top 5 undergraduate majors for fall 2008 were psychology, integrative physiology, english, prejournalism, and international affairs.

How and when do I apply to CU-Boulder?

For all the details on how and when to apply, as well as information about academic programs, requirements, finances, student life, and visiting campus, visit the CU-Boulder prospective student site at www.colorado.edu/prospective/.

I’m interested in graduate school at CU-Boulder. What should I do?

You can find detailed information on graduate academic programs, research on campus, finances, and application processes and instructions on the graduate prospective student web site at www.colorado.edu/GraduateSchool.

What factors are considered in making admission decisions?

Admission decisions are based on a number of different factors, including but not limited to:

  • grade point average
  • standardized test scores
  • minimum academic preparation standards (MAPS)
  • the rigor of courses taken
  • trend in grades
  • personal essays
  • letters of recommendation
  • personal achievement, special talents, and extracurricular activities
  • ethnic and geographic diversity

Since CU-Boulder has more qualified applicants each year than spaces, those with the strongest records are admitted.

For more information, go to  www.colorado.edu/prospective.

What kind of housing is available for new students at CU-Boulder?

All new freshmen are required to live on campus for a full academic year (not including summer session), provided space is available. If you are married or live with your parents in the Boulder area, you may petition to live off-campus. Once you have been admitted and have confirmed your intent to enroll at CU-Boulder, you will receive information about the housing application process and a brochure describing our 22 university residence halls, dining facilities, and special residential academic programs (RAPS). You can find information at housing.colorado.edu. Only a limited number of new transfer and graduate students can be accommodated in the residence halls. Therefore, transfer and graduate students need to find accommodations off campus, and will find help at the Off-Campus Housing and Neighborhood Relations web site at ocss.colorado.edu/.

What is the application process for students from a country other than the United States?

You can find detailed information on the application process, as well as academic programs, requirements, costs, and housing on the International Prospective Student site at www.colorado.edu/prospective/international.

How can I find out about in-state tuition status, and what I have to do to apply?

All the information you need is on the Office of the Registrar’s website at registrar.colorado.edu/students/tuition_classification.html including a petition form that you can download.

Do my grades from another institution transfer, or just my credits?

When you begin work at CU-Boulder, only your course credits, not your grades, transfer to your CU record. However, all of your grades are used in the admission decision process. For more information on how to transfer to CU-Boulder, go to www.colorado.edu/prospective/transfer. How do I know what classes will transfer? The Office of Admissions does an initial evaluation of your transfer credit once you have been admitted and have confirmed your intent to enroll. At orientation, the dean’s office of the college or school to which you’ve been admitted makes the final determination of how your transfer credits apply to degree requirements at CU-Boulder.

You can find steps to transferring to CU-Boulder on the transfer prospective student site at www.colorado.edu/prospective/transfer. This site includes transfer admission criteria, credit transfer guidelines, and course equivalency guides for Colorado two year colleges that will aid you in doing an early self-assessment.

How much will it cost to attend CU-Boulder for a year?

To see estimated expenses based off of a single student in the College of Arts and Sciences living on campus during the fall and spring semesters go to www.colorado.edu/admissions/undergraduate/finances.

I’d like to visit the campus before deciding whether I should apply. When can I do that?

You can visit us online or in-person! Check out our online visitor center at www.colorado.edu/visit, where you will find information on planning your visit to Boulder, university attractions, online tours, and the Office of Admissions campus visit programs.

What is a Buff OneCard?

The Buff OneCard is the official identification card for CU-Boulder students, faculty and staff.

You will need this ID card to access campus facilities and services that have restricted access. For example, it allows you to use the recreation center, check out library books, and use dining services in the residence halls. Combined with a current RTD validation sticker, it allows you to ride local, regional and express buses for no additional fee. It also offers a variety of optional services such as Buff Gold and ATM access which require that the student open an account at the University of Colorado Federal Credit Union.

Students who have confirmed their intent to attend CU-Boulder and have paid the enrollment deposit, are eligible to get a Buff OneCard. Faculty and staff are eligible to get a card on their first day of employment. To get a Buff OneCard, go to the Campus Card Office and bring a photo ID to prove your identity. Your first card is free. Lost, damaged, or stolen cards can be replaced for a fee.

Read more about the Buff OneCard at www.buffonecard.com.

Where can I go to talk to someone about my problems?

Counseling Services is the place to go to discuss life challenges. Counseling services staff includes counselors, psychologists, and other professionals committed to offering quality programs and services. Counseling and psychological services are free, confidential, and available to all CU-Boulder students, staff, and faculty. Read about their programs at www.colorado.edu/sacs/counseling/.

How do I figure out what I want to be and then how do I find a job?

Career Services provides a centralized, comprehensive career center for students at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Career Services counselors inspire and teach students to become active participants in their own career development through programs that help them plan their careers, find internships, and secure post-graduate employment. Read about their programs at www.colorado.edu/careerservices/.

Is there a bookstore on campus? Where do I buy my textbooks?

The CU Book Store is located on the lower level of the University Memorial Center (UMC). You can shop in person or online for books and supplies, computers, and much more. See www.cubookstore.com.

Where can I find assistance for international students?

International Student and Scholar Services is the office that bears the overall institutional responsibility for foreign students once they are admitted to the University of Colorado at Boulder. International students and scholars with questions concerning their legal status or other issues pertinent to their stay at CU Boulder can go to the office of International Student and Scholar Services, within the Office of International Education in ENVD 1B01, email an advisor, or call 303-492-8057. They’ll do what they can to answer questions and help with a smooth transition into American university life. Read more at www.colorado.edu/oie/isss.

Are there support services available to gay, bisexual, lesbian, transgender, or queer students, faculty and staff on campus?

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) Resource Center is the best resource for gay, bisexual, lesbian, transgender, and queer individuals on the CU-Boulder campus. To learn more about the GLBT Resource Center, go towww.colorado.edu/GLBTRC/, call 303-492-1377, or visit the center in Willard 227.

Where can I find health care on campus?

Wardenburg Health Center, located on campus, provides a wide range of fee-for-service medical, mental health, and sports medicine services. In addition, the health center provides free services such as the musculoskeletal injury screening clinic, HIV testing, and support groups for those with bi-polar illness. Also available at no cost through Wardenburg are the health education, personal safety and peer education programs such as Sexual Health Program, Interactive Theatre, Student Wellness Program, smoking cessation, chair massage and relaxation techniques. For more information, go towww.colorado.edu/healthcenter or call 303-492-5101. The Apothecary, a full-service pharmacy located inside Wardenburg, is contracted with a wide variety of insurance plans. Contact them directly at 303-492-8553.

Am I required to have health insurance?

The University of Colorado at Boulder has a mandatory policy statement that requires all students taking one or more credit hours to be covered by a health insurance plan. Students may elect coverage under their own insurance, through an employer or their parents, or the university will provide an insurance plan designed to meet most students’ needs.

All students taking one credit hours or more are automatically enrolled and billed by the university for the Student Gold Health Insurance Plan unless you select or waive the health insurance by the appropriate deadline. For health plan information online go towww.colorado.edu/studenthealthplans.

What are my options for living on campus?

Read all about the residence halls on campus on the Department of Housing web site athousing.colorado.edu.

The university requires freshmen to live in a university residence hall for two academic year semesters, provided that space is available, and places a priority on reserving residence hall space for them. For this reason, space for continuing students and new transfer students is limited.

Will CU help me to find a place to live off campus?

Staff in the Off-Campus Housing and Neighborhood Relations are here to help the over 18,000 University of Colorado at Boulder students who live off campus find good housing. Off-Campus Housing and Neighborhood Relations has a computerized database of houses, apartments, and roommate listings. Full-fee paying students may access this database for free by logging on to ocss.colorado.edu/. Others may access this database for a small fee. Non-students should contact the OCSS office to register and pay for this service.

Off-Campus Housing and Neighborhood Relations also hosts an annual housing fair which brings major apartment complexes and property management companies to the University Memorial Center (UMC) Ballroom, and gives students an opportunity to meet with these companies and find out about housing options.

Can I bring a car to campus?

Yes, however, space is limited for students to park on campus and parking permits can be expensive. Numerous transportation options exist for students without cars that are free with your student ID and RTD sticker. For more information about bringing a car and parking on campus, go to the Parking and Transit Services website at www.colorado.edu/pts.

Do I need a car?

The mandatory student fee package includes an administrative fee for a bus pass. This pass allows students to ride local, express and regional buses for no additional charge. Students can also ride to Denver International Airport and several ski areas using their student bus pass. Therefore, it is not necessary for students to bring cars to campus. Students who feel that they “must” have a car, are encouraged to check out information on parking on campus by going to the Parking and Transit Services web site at www.colorado.edu/pts and then clicking on “Students.”

How do I get involved with the student government?

The University of Colorado Student Government or CUSG, (formerly the University of Colorado Student Union, UCSU), is the student body government for the University of Colorado at Boulder and is the most financially powerful and autonomous student government in the nation. CUSG creates, implements and oversees a $36 million budget generated by student fees and other revenue to operate the CUSG Cost Centers. CUSG also serves as the liaison between the student body and university administration. In accordance with the 1985 Chancellor’s Autonomy Agreement, the Chancellor has vested authority in CUSG for the expenditure of collected student fees and earned income. The student government has three branches — Executive, Legislative and Judicial — which are governed by the student-adopted Constitution.

Read about CUSG at cusg.colorado.edu.

Where can I get information about studying abroad?

You can get started by visiting the Study Abroad Programs web site atwww.colorado.edu/OIE/StudyAbroad/ or by going to the Study Abroad Programs office in the basement of the Environmental Design building 1B-45, where advisors are available on a walk-in basis to assist you.

As an undergraduate at an American institution, you have thousands of study abroad programs from which to choose. CU-Boulder offers over 140 programs that are geared to match the academic and cultural needs of students at CU.

What computer and telephone services are available to students?

You can find information on computing, internet access, computer labs, phones, and long distance services on the information technology services site.

Do I have to bring my own computer to school?

Approximately 85 percent of CU-Boulder undergraduates bring computers to campus. We want students to take advantage of our exceptional information technology (IT) environment at CU-Boulder, which includes one fast network (100 mg) access port per resident in all rooms, so we recommend that every student have a personal computer if this is financially feasible. You can find computer recommendations on the ITS web site atwww.colorado.edu/its/recommendations.

Because computer ownership may present a financial burden for some students, there are computer laboratories thoughout campus available to all students. Several of the residence halls also have their own computer labs that are open to residents. Students who intend to purchase a computer and wish to have its cost included in their financial aid calculations are strongly encouraged to consult the Office of Financial Aid before their purchase. Students who are eligible for the campus Student Computer Lending Program will be contacted by the program’s administrator.

For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 303-492-5091.

How do I get a computer and e-mail account?

Visit oit.colorado.edu/quickstart for a complete guide to CU-Boulder computing, e-mail, and information technology resources.

How do I apply for financial aid?

The most important step in applying for financial aid at CU-Boulder is to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1. This application will help determine if you qualify for grants, loans, work-study or some scholarships. The Office of Financial Aid will receive your FAFSA and e-mail you regarding additional information needed to proceed and/or your financial aid options.

Where can I find job listings?

You can find available job postings and work-study information for students atwww.Colorado.edu/studentemployment.

Where can I look for scholarships?

The best way to apply for CU-Boulder Scholarships is through our online scholarship application. To read more about scholarships go to the Office of Financial Aid web site.

What is work-study and how can I get it?

Work-study is a need-based financial aid award. Work-study employment operates much the same as any other job, with some important differences. In order to be eligible for work study, students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and be determined to have financial need. You can read more about work study on the Office of Financial Aid’s web site at www.colorado.edu/finaid.

Give FeedbackSee More Photos View Photo