Important Changes to Guidelines for Qualifying for In-State Residency Tuition

Dear Parent(s), Monday, September 30, 2013


Please read the important information below if your son/daughter is planning to petition the University of Colorado Boulder to change his/her non-resident status based on emancipation. If he/she is not planning to petition for resident status, please disregard this letter.

As part of a routine review of our guidelines, university attorneys have recently examined State guidance regarding in-state tuition classification and emancipation.  I am writing to you to advise you of the changes related to the guidelines for the determination of emancipation status for non-resident undergraduate students.

Beginning with the Spring 2014 cycle starting on October 1, 2013, tuition classification officers will use modified guidelines to determine whether a student under the age of 22 is an emancipated minor for tuition classification purposes. These modified guidelines focus more broadly on the actual financial independence of the student and look more closely at any outside support provided to the student, including support from parents, grandparents, friends, etc.

The university’s modified guidelines for determining emancipation include:

  • The financial independence of the student, including but not limited to;
  • Whether the student earns his or her own living and controls his or her own wages;
  • Whether the student is dependent on friends or family for shelter; and
  • Whether a student obtained a student loan using a co-signor—use of a co-signor does not defeat emancipated status per se, but it may be considered evidence of non-independence.
  • Whether the parent(s) claimed the student on the most current income tax year; and
  • Whether the student has established a permanent residence away from the family domicile with no intention of returning permanently to the family domicile (limited Fall Break, Holiday and Spring Break visits may be allowed, so long as such visits do not interrupt the student’s establishment of an independent dwelling in Colorado).

If your son/daughter is planning to request a determination of emancipated status for Spring 2014 or later, he/she may still qualify if financial independence is demonstrated for the entire year preceding the enrollment date for the semester in which he/she seeks a change in status. Financial independence includes demonstrated proof of individual income sufficient to pay all of the student’s expenses, including: tuition and fees, rent and food, medical insurance, transportation expenses including automobile insurance if applicable, cell phone, etc.  Your son/daughter will also need to compile documentation demonstrating financial independence from you, friends and other family members (including grandparents, aunts/uncles, or any other similar source of support). This also includes proof of individual income sufficient to pay his/her expenses now and for future semesters.

We realize the impact this may have on your son’s or daughter’s attendance at CU-Boulder. We hope you understand that the university has not created any new regulations that modify the requirements of the existing law. However we are modifying our guidelines for students seeking emancipated status to ensure that existing legal requirements are met.

For more information, we invite you to view our residency and tuition classification website at

Please send all questions and concerns to


Office of the Registrar
University of Colorado Boulder


Dear Student,

Your Spring 2015 enrollment appointment has now been posted in MyCUInfo.

Dear Student,

If you intend to graduate in December 2014, be sure to complete each item below by the date listed. To find out about your graduation requirements, contact your department or advisor.

Important Dates

Loading Events...

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

  • Email us 
  • 303-492-6970
  • In Person
    (9 a.m.–5 p.m.)

Regent Admin. Center 101
20 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309

See Department Contacts

Online Tools

Calendars & Schedules