Frequently Asked Questions

Registration FAQ

How do I update my emergency contact info?

In MyCUInfo, click the Student tab and find the Student Center button under the Academic Resources section, then:

  • Scroll down to the Personal Information section
  • click the "Emergency Contact" link
  • Click the Edit button and update the information
  • Save the information when finished
Why do I need to add or verify my local address and emergency contact information each semester?

The University of Colorado needs to have the ability to contact your designated emergency contact in the event you suffer a serious illness an accident, or some other emergency. The University also needs to know your address for the purpose of sending out important information, or in the event of a fire, flood or other type of event requiring the assistance of emergency personnel. 

How do I indicate my emergency contact?

During the registration process, you will be asked to verify an emergency contact name, address and phone. You must verify each of these items to confirm the currency and accuracy of this vital information. Once finished, you can move on to registration. There are a total of three check boxes to complete during this process.

How do I know when I am eligible to register?

Please visit the MyCUInfo, click the Student tab, then click the Your Enrollment Dates button under the "Academic Resources" section. Your class registration information is updated each term.

What is the Shopping Cart?

The enrollment shopping cart can hold your course selections for you until you are ready to register. The shopping cart only holds classes for you – it does not register you for the class or save you a space in the course. You must put courses in the shopping cart first in order to register.

On the day of your enrollment appointment:

  • Click Register for Classes to go to the enrollment shopping cart
  • Put a check next to the classes that you want
  • Click the Proceed to step 2 of 4 button and confirm your choices
  • Click the Finish Enrolling button

As long as you do not have any holds and the courses are open, you will have registered for those courses.

Where's my shopping cart?

The shopping cart is under Academics at the top of the Student Center. It is the second link directly below This Week's Schedule.

I added classes to my shopping cart, but my schedule is blank.

You need to select your classes from the shopping cart and proceed to the next step and the finish enrolling button to move the classes from your shopping cart to your schedule.

How many search criteria must I select in "Search for Classes"?

You need to select two search criteria (besides "Institution" and "Term" at the top) to create a valid search.

I cannot search for classes. I keep getting an error message about 500 sections.

This message means you have to define your search more clearly to limit the number of class sections returned in your search.

How do I search for Arts & Sciences core courses?

Expand Additional Search Criteria and, in Class Attributes, select "Boulder A&S Core Requirements" in the dropdown. From there, you can choose an Attribute Value to narrow by subject area.

Can I select all Arts & Sciences courses in one search?

The search feature cannot return more than 500 course sections per search. If you attempt a search as large as "Arts and Sciences," you will get an error message and will have to narrow your search further.

What if I want to narrow my search to upper and lower division courses?

 In the Course Number box, indicate "Less than or equal to – 2999" for lower division, or "Greater than or equal to – 3000" for upper division.

How do I waitlist for a class?

When you select a class to add to your shopping cart, click on the checkbox next to "Wait list if class is full" (in Step 1, Select Classes to Add - Enrollment Preferences).

Can I waitlist for a class even if there is a time conflict?

Yes, but you will not be able to enroll while the time conflict exists.

How do I know a course is controlled enrollment?

Any course with a 700- or 800-level section number is controlled enrollment. If you try to register for this course, you will get an error message that says the course is controlled.

How do I register for a controlled-enrollment course?

You must get permission from the department to enroll in the course. The department administrator or advisor will need to enroll you manually. However, this cannot be completed until your enrollment appointment has started.

It says that I can't enroll in a class because I don't meet the reserve capacity. What's that?

Classes have been saved for a specific population of students, and you are not part of that population.

I saw a course that was offered earlier for the semester, but why is it no longer there?

Cancelled courses are removed from class searches.

Where is the projected GPA calculator?

Within the Student Center, Enroll tab, term information tab.

In your MyCUInfo portal, click on the Student tab. Look for the GPA Calculator button under the "Academic Resources" section.

You may also access this feature by clicking on Student Center in the same section, clicking Term Information, and then by selecting Projected GPA Calculator.

I'm enrolled in a class and I want to change it to Pass/Fail.

Go to edit tab, select the class, then select "Pass/Fail" in the dropdown under Grading.

I cannot enroll for Continuing Education classes.

Most likely, open enrollment for Continuing Education classes has not started yet. Check your enrollment dates to see when the sessions are available for enrollment.

How do I print my schedule?
  • Go to the Register for Classes button in the Student tab of your MyCUInfo portal

  • Go to the my class schedule tab and the "Printer Friendly Page" link located below your schedule

  • Select "File" and "Print" on your browser

How do I change my personal information?

In MyCUInfo, go to the Student tab, click Student Center;

  • Find the Personal Information section near the bottom of the page.
  • Select the information from the drop-down box you wish to change and click the round button.
  • Click the edit button, and update your information.
  • Click OK and Save when finished.

Emergency Notification FAQ

Why am I being asked for Emergency Notification information as well as Emergency Contact information?

Emergency Notification is the information the University uses to contact you when the campus needs to alert you to safety or facility issues. Emergency Contact information is used in the event the University needs to contact someone on your behalf should you be involved in or experience a health or safety emergency.

How often will I receive text message alerts?

Fortunately, the campus does not use the alert system very often. In some academic terms, the only messages sent to the campus are system test messages. Campus Alert text messages could be issued for situations such as severe weather, facility updates including campus closures, campus operating status, and imminent dangers affecting our campus community.

Why do I have to enter this information? I’ve already signed up at

The University transferred the management of your emergency alerts contact information from the website to MyCUInfo as part of the Fall 2013 registration process. This switch ensures that all actively enrolled students are capable of receiving email and text emergency notifications. Any information you enter during registration will replace the information you already entered in the Campus Alerts system.

Does this affect faculty or staff registrations for Campus Alerts?

At this time, all non-student faculty, staff and affiliates should still use to manage their emergency notification information. Work is underway to switch this process to the MyCUInfo portal, but is not yet complete.

What if I don't want to receive text message Campus Alerts from the University?

Opting out of the system is strongly discouraged, as the information provided by Campus Alerts can save your life during an emergency or life-threatening situation, and at the very least Campus Alerts keep you from coming to campus on a snow closure day.

You can choose to opt out by marking the "I elect to opt out of the Emergency Notification System" check box.

My question wasn't on this list. Who should I contact?

If you have questions about the registration process, contact the Office of the Registrar at If you have questions about voice-only notification options, TTY contact information or other Campus Alerts system-related questions, contact Sam Bogan in the Office of Emergency Management at

Degree Audit FAQ

How can I request a degree audit?

Instructions to run an audit are found on the How to Access and Run a Degree Audit page.

I need copy of my Degree Audit, but I graduated several years ago. What should I do?

If you graduated several years ago, then the requirements for your major may have changed since graduation. Please contact your advisor (if available) or department for the documentation needed.

Do Degree Audits replace advising?

Degree audit reports do not replace advising.

Advisors enhance the advising process by providing timely information about academic programs. The degree audit tracks course and requirement progress, eliminating manual record-keeping and to allow your advisor to spend more time helping you plan your academic goals. Keep in mind that any adjustments to be made to your major degree must be approved by the appropriate dean's office. It is a good idea to always bring your degree audit when meeting with your advisor.

When an error occurs while I’m trying to get my degree audit, what should I do?

The Student Portal may not be available when system maintenance is scheduled. If the system is down, please try again at a later time.

Does the degree audit show the courses that I'm taking this semester?

"In Progress" courses are listed in the audit with *** in the grade column.

How to Access and Run a Degree Audit

What should I do if I have a question about how my courses are applying on the degree audit?

Take a copy of the degree audit when you meet with your advisor and take any documentation or information that may be helpful in addressing your question.

I'm thinking of changing my major. How do I view a Degree Audit Report for a program other than my own?

You can run a "What If" audit to see how your course work might apply to another major or degree program.

Running a "What If" degree audit does not change your major. If you decide to change your major, see an academic advisor in your new proposed major for an evaluation.

How to Access and Run a Degree Audit


We haven't been able to send emails from course or advisor rosters yet – is this being fixed?

The problem is that not all faculty and staff email addresses are loaded to ISIS, so there is no email address to mail "from". It is both a security issue and a procedural one. The person's email address has to be loaded into Campus Solutions in order to do this, so we are manually going to populate this (for advisors and dept. admin.), and then it will be done for all others in one upload at a later point in time. Timeline? A little bit of testing needs to be done first, so this will probably be done in the next two weeks.

Is there a quick and easy way to see all of the enrollments in all sections of the course?

The only way to do this is to view it course by course - if you enter in one course, you will get to see the enrollment in all sections. Curriculum Management - Schedule of Classes - Update Sections of a Class (to view enrollment).  The tab is then "Class Enrollment Limits".  Again, it is course by course. There is a new curriculum management report – this is looking pretty good and might give you all of the information you need. We will let you know when it is ready.

With the new process of UG students not needing to go on Time Off Program and can return up to four semesters, how will transfer credit be posted?

As long as the student has an active program plan stack, then the transfer can be posted. Students don't have to have an active term record - just an active program plan stack. 

We have space reserved in one of our courses until May sometime, but we want to get someone in who does not meet the reserve capacity – how do we do this?

You have to used the closed class and the prerequisite override. 

In the advisor section - there are four boxes - must approve enrollment, advise by committee, must approve graduation, graduation approved – what should advisors do here?

There is no reason to use this; there is no functionality behind this.

How do you swap courses? When do you use swap courses? What if the student wants to WL in another section of the course?

SWAP, on the student self-service side, is really intended for the student to make sure there is space in another section of the course. There is probably no reason to use it on the admin side, but you could if you're wanting to make sure a class is open before you drop another class for a student. Can this be done for recitations too? Yes, it does work for the lab or the recitation too. 

Are advisors able to re-sequence a WL manually?

Only if it is a re-sequenced waitlist - not if it is an auto waitlist. If you click on the OVERRIDE box, you can then go in and manually change the priority code assignment. At this stage, can you get an auto-WL course changed to re-sequenced? You cannot if there are enrollments in the course. 

Since there is no F2 HELP key, how do we know what the codes are to select?

Sometimes on fields, there are magnifying glasses. For priorities on the WL resequence roster, the values are 1 - 99. UPK's are a good resource for people to refer to if they want to know information about data in the fields (this example). 

When the WL does re-sequence, will it do so in WL position order?


On the WL page, if you want to print it out prior to changing, is there a print-friendly format?

Just hit print.

How do you print a class roster?

Print from the Student Details tab on the class roster.

Is there an easy way to enroll everyone off of a waitlist?


SIS Web Operator - when will it go away?

It will be available through June of 2011 (same as SIS), but it will only be updated through September 30, 2010 (for summer 2010 and before).

If a student is enrolled in one section of a course, but they WL for another section of the same course, will they get enrolled in a second section of the same course?


If there are 10 sections of the same course, can they be on 5 different WL?

Yes, but they can only be enrolled right now for 19 hours of the same course.

Can we give students the ability to enroll themselves in classes?

We do have the option of permission numbers, but we didn't roll this out this year. Some departments have asked us not to make it department consent required - if you would like to do this, we can. But can we then control which faculty member they enroll in? Could post your list with the section number and let students self-select.

Web Grading FAQ

Where can I get more info on Web Grading?

Policies & Regulations

Applicants and Date of Birth

Introduction and Background

At the time of application, either as degree or through an application to Continuing Education, prospective students need to supply their date of birth. Unfortunately, the system does not require it at this time. Thus, it may require that the Office of Admissions, or Continuing Education, must continue to contact the student until it has been supplied. It is critical that the date of birth for each prospective student is supplied as it increases our capability to prevent duplication of student records.

Operational Protocol

The Office of Admissions, as well as Continuing Education and Professional Studies (CEPS), must collect a date of birth on each applicant to the University.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of Admissions
Continuing Education and Professional Studies

Date: December 2010

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Bachelors and Masters Concurrent Degrees

Introduction and Background

Per Title IV Higher Education requirements, students who work concurrently on a bachelor’s and master’s degree must be switched from an undergraduate to a graduate program at a uniform time, according to University protocol. Beginning with the fall 2010 semester, the Office of the Registrar will run a report on all students with a sub-plan equal to a bachelors/masters concurrent degree and identify any student who has 130 hours or greater of predicted hours (exception – if the student is in the College of Engineering, this will be 145 hours or greater) and move them to a graduate program. For fall, this process will be completed in early February; for spring, in late October. Students desiring to change their program from undergraduate to graduate status may do so earlier than reaching 130 hours (or 145 for Engineering students). These students should visit the Office of the Registrar to have their program changed.

Operational Protocol

To ensure compliance with Title IV federal regulations, UCB students in a bachelor’s and master’s concurrent program will be uniformly switched to a graduate degree program at the completion of 130 pending credit hours or greater (or, 145 pending credit hours or greater if the student is enrolled in the College of Engineering and Applied Science).

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar, the Graduate School, and the Office of Financial Aid.

Approved by:

Council of Associate Deans

Office of Financial Aid

Office of the Registrar

Date: February 2010

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Billing Students Based Upon their Programs

Introduction and Background

Students are billed for their tuition based upon the "most expensive college" the student is enrolled in as of census date for the term. For example, at the undergraduate, in-state rate, the Leeds School of Business is currently the most expensive program in terms of tuition charged. If a student is enrolled in, for example, both Business and Engineering, the student will be billed at the Business rate as it is the most expensive. In the event of the student changes their program of enrollment, the tuition charge will be assessed against the most expensive program the student is enrolled in as of census date. If the student drops the more expensive program by, or including, the "census date", the charge will then default to whichever less expensive program the student is then enrolled in. If the student requests that the higher cost program is removed after census date, or the student is not able to enroll in a less expensive college until after census date, the student will be charged at the higher rate according to what school or college the student was enrolled in at census. If the student becomes enrolled in a more expensive school or college post-census date, the student will be charged tuition based on the most expensive program for the next term.

Operational Protocol

Students will be billed tuition for the most expensive program the student is enrolled in at census date for the term.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Bursar's Office
Office of the Registrar

Date: December 2010

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Chancellor's Recognition Award

Introduction and Background

Each graduation, undergraduate students who have received a 4.00 cumulative grade point average throughout their University of Colorado career are eligible to receive the Chancellor’s Recognition Award distinction. Students must have completed a minimum of 90 credit hours as a degree-seeking student at the University of Colorado. Students earning this distinction are recognized at their respective commencement ceremony. Grades received from other institutions outside of the University of Colorado are not included in this calculation, thus allowing the student to be eligible for this award if a grade below an A was received prior to enrolling at the University.

Operational Protocol

To receive the Chancellor's Recognition Award, undergraduate students must have completed a minimum of 90 credit hours as a degree-seeking student at the University of Colorado with a 4.0 GPA, with no grade lower than an A. Only one Chancellor's Recognition Award per lifetime of the student will be awarded.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Council of Associate Deans

Date: Revised August 2013

Author(s): Barbara Todd and Steve Jones

Course Reservation Protocol

Introduction and Background

The Course Reservation Program helps undergraduate degree-seeking students enroll in the courses they need to graduate. When a student is waitlisted in a course and does not actually get enrolled in the course, the Course Reservation Program allows students to reserve their enrollment in that course for the next semester one to two weeks before the next registration period.


  1. Students must add their name to a course waitlist by the deadline to waitlist each fall and spring semester.
  2. If the student is subsequently not enrolled in the course from the waitlist, they are eligible to register for the course through the course reservation program the next semester the course is offered. For example, if the student waitlists for the course in the fall, the student can attempt to register for the course through course reservation the next spring. If the course is not offered the next spring, they can attempt to enroll in the course the following fall. If the course is not offered again, then course reservation eligibility ends; students may not try to enroll in another course in its place.
  3. Course reservation registration is offered the week before in spring, or, in the case of fall (spring break) two weeks before regular registration begins.
  4. Students must register for course reservation in person at the Office of the Registrar, and must clear all "holds" before registration. All course restrictions will be honored.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Office of Undergraduate Education

Date: February 2013

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Deceased Student Protocol and Transcript Release

Introduction and Background

Despite the fact that FERPA protections end at the time of a student's death, the University of Colorado has made an internal decision not to release the transcripts of students/former students reported as deceased except to immediate family members and by other exception. For the purpose of releasing archived transcripts for any former student (deceased or not), the University will release transcripts without written approval if the former student will have reached the age of 100 years or older.

Operational Protocol

  1. The office of the Dean of Students will serve as the central point of contact for those reporting students as deceased. Verification of death will be made by the Dean of Students office, prior to reporting to the Office of the Registrar. Most likely this will only occur for currently enrolled students, but may on occasion also include a former student.
  2. Upon notification, the Office of the Registrar will send out notice to those offices included in the "deceased student listserve."
  3. The Office of the Registrar will set deceased student coding in ISIS.
  4. Requests for posthumous degrees must originate from and be approved by the student's deans office.
  5. Deceased student mailing addresses will be inactivated and phone numbers will be removed (and moved to the comments field for storage) by registrar staff, to prevent inadvertent mailings/phone calls being made to the family of the deceased.

Other guidelines:

  1. The family of a deceased student may receive a copy of the student's transcript either upon request from the Dean of Students, Victim’s Assistance, dean's office, other University officer or the Registrar.
  2. Upon request from the family with proof of relationship to the deceased student and a copy of a death notice (this may be a former student whose passing was not known at the time), a copy of the transcript may be released.
  3. Once a student would have reached the age of 100, the transcript can be released without written permission.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar

Date: March 2013

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Degree Revocation

Introduction and Background

An offense that is discovered after the awarding of a degree may warrant the revocation of that degree. An academic degree previously awarded by the University may be revoked if it was obtained for fraudulent reasons, through misrepresentation, cheating, etc. of if the work submitted in fulfillment of, and indispensable to, the requirements for such degree constitutes plagiarism. These offenses can include falsification of academic records or violation of the Honor Code Policy or Student Conduct Policy (if applicable by campus). This protocol does not apply to cases where the degree was awarded in error due to advising or clerical error.

Operational Protocol

The following process will normally be employed in determining whether a degree should be revoked and how the revocation will occur:

  1. Department requesting the revoking of the degree (Academic unit, research unit, Honor Code, Judicial Affairs, etc.) will notify the student’s dean in writing of the situation and request the degree be revoked. If a University representative or external entity provides allegations against a recent Boulder graduate, these actions should be reported to the student's dean in writing.
  2. The dean of the student's college(s) or schools(s) shall investigate the allegations and either approve or deny the request after consultation with the legal. The investigation may occur through an ad hoc committee or the unit's Student Ethics committee. The dean notifies the appropriate requestor of the action.
  3. If approved, the dean notifies by letter:
    1. The registrar.
    2. The student of the action to revoke the degree and informs the student the diploma must be returned to the registrar's office.
    3. Concerned faculty, including the chair of the student's major department, thesis advisor, etc.
    4. Registrar will:
      1. Remove all degree coding from ISIS. Notice of degree revocation will be stored in the permanent degree files kept in the Office of the Registrar, and the "official" program will be updated.
      2. Enter a transcript notation that the degree was revoked. If additional detail needs to be entered (violation of the Honor Code, etc.) this needs to be noted in the dean's notification letter. This may also include a change of grade, if necessary.
      3. Contact any external parties, when they can be identified, who had been sent a transcript that identified the original awarding of the degree (NOTE: Transcript request records are only available for the previous six months).
      4. Contact our outsourced Degree and Enrollment Verification provider (currently the National Student Clearinghouse) to notify them to immediately change their records.
      5. Revocation is subject to review on appeal by the Provost, the Chancellor of the campus, the President of the University or the Board of Regents. The appeal process shall be established in writing to ensure the student's due process.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Office of the Provost

Date: January 2013

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Disciplinary and Pending Disciplinary Service Indicator Processing

Introduction and Background

Disciplinary stops are critically important to preventing students from enrolling and registering within the CU system. Some students placed on disciplinary suspension from the University are suspended because they have committed offenses such as sexual assault, serious physical assaults, and higher level drug distribution. Disciplinary stops prevent enrollment and should require the student to reapply before being admitted again to the same campus, or to another CU campus. This helps to mitigate risk to the University.

Pending discipline stops are used for students who have not completed their sanctions at the University, in violation of the student conduct code. This action results in the holding of transcripts and the inability to register for classes. Admission to the home campus, or to another campus of the University, should be held until the student has resolved this issue with the appropriate student conduct office. For Admissions, it is the responsibility of the student to work with the Student Conduct office to resolve the issue and request the release of the service indicator. If the Student Conduct office agrees to release the service indicator, Admissions must be notified to continue processing the application.

Transcripts cannot be released for a student with a pending discipline service indicator, but can be released for the student with a disciplinary service indicator (including Continuing Education and Professional Studies).

Operational Protocol

All students with disciplinary service indicators will be prevented from becoming admitted to or enrolling at any campus in the University of Colorado system while the service indicator is in place. Any student with a pending disciplinary service indicator will also be prevented from becoming admitted or enrolling at any campus in the University of Colorado system, unless the Office of Student Conduct who placed the service indicator releases the student for admission or enrollment. Transcripts will be withheld for all students with pending disciplinary service indicators.

Business process for processing disciplinary (D25), pending disciplinary (D98), or disciplinary expulsion (D26) service indicators:

  1. Campus Office of Student Conduct places or removes a disciplinary, pending disciplinary, or disciplinary expulsion service indicator on a student.
  2. If the student applying to any campus of the University of Colorado has an active disciplinary service indicator, the student must be prevented from admission.
    1. The Office of Student Conduct who placed the service indicator must be contacted by the student to determine if the student can be admitted.
    2. If the Office of Student Conduct who placed the service indicator determines the student may apply, then the same office must remove the active disciplinary service indicator.
  3. If the student trying to enroll at any campus of the University of Colorado has an active disciplinary service indicator, the student must be prevented from enrolling.
    1. The Office of Student Conduct who placed the service indicator must be contacted by the student to determine if the student can enroll.
    2. If the Office of Student Conduct who placed the service indicator determines the student may apply, then the same office must remove the active disciplinary service indicator.
  4. Applying/Removing Cross-Institutional Service Indicators
    1. Applying: A query will run to identify "new" disciplinary (D25), pending disciplinary (D98), or disciplinary expulsion (D26) service indicators on the originating campus. A batch process will then run and assign the cross-institutional equivalent service indicator to the other two campuses.
      1. D25: Cross-institutional service indicator -> DX1
      2. D26: Cross-institutional service indicator -> DX2
      3. D98: Cross-institutional service indicator -> DX3
    2. Removing: A query will run to identify disciplinary, pending disciplinary, or disciplinary expulsion service indicators that have been removed from the originating campus. A batch process will then run and remove the cross-institutional equivalent service indicator on the other two campuses.
  5. All students with pending disciplinary service indicators will have their transcript withheld upon placing an order at any campus of the University of Colorado.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Office of Admissions
Office of Student Conduct

Approved by:

Office of Admissions

Office of the Registrar

Office of Student Conduct

ISIS Advisory Committee – December 14, 2012

Date: December 2012

Author(s): Barbara Todd

F Grade Validation Protocol

Introduction and Background

The University of Colorado Boulder does not require that professors take attendance; however, the U.S. Department of Education nevertheless requires an institution to determine if students have actually attended and/or completed the course if they fail to earn a grade of D- or better in a course (34 CFR 668.22). Because a student could be a financial aid applicant at any point during the academic year, the University of Colorado Boulder must collect this information for all students so that financial aid eligibility can be accurately determined. Since the instructor is the only person at the institution who can document whether a student attended class or participated in an academically-related activity, this documentation must come from the instructor.

Operational Protocol

Faculty must indicate one of three notations for a student who receives a grade of "F". These three notations are:

  • The student never attended;
  • The student earned the grade of F; or
  • The student stopped attending as of (date).

These grade notations must be made on the grade rosters, or if a grade of F is assigned via a Change of Record form.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Office of Financial Aid

Date: October 2011

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Full-Time Definition in the Summer

Introduction and Background

There have always been two sets of full-time/part-time categorizations – one if for an academic workload, and the other is for financial aid rules. In the fall and spring semesters, both of these are set at 12 credit hours. At one time, both were set at six hours in the summer. Approximately 10 years ago, the financial aid rule for full-time undergraduates changed from 6 to 12 hours in the summer to comply with federal financial aid regulations. At that time, the other CU campuses aligned their full-time requirements for academic purposes to 12 hours in the summer, but Boulder did not. The Boulder Campus decided to stay at 6 credit hours for full-time UG enrollment in the summers to accommodate new international students admitted for summer. Immigration laws require international students be enrolled full-time (defined in Boulder as 6 hours) their first semester. Thus, this determination was made for three reasons:

  1. It benefits international students to begin their enrollment in the summer when it is easier to adjust to their new surroundings. Academically, it is easier for the students to have a lighter workload as they adjust to these new surroundings and, for many, a new language.
  2. The concern for these students' choosing to attend another institution with a lesser full-time requirement if the full-time academic load at CU-Boulder is 12 hours.
  3. There are no policy requirements that the full-time load must match the Financial Aid load. There are no negative consequences to keeping the full-time requirement for enrollment at 6 credit hours in the summer. There are no state or federal reporting requirements, nor academic policies, that require that we increase the number of credit hours from six to twelve.
  4. This practice already appears as six credit hours for full-time enrollment in all University of Colorado, Boulder catalogs.

Operational Protocol

Undergraduate full-time load in the summer is defined as follows:

  • 12 or more hours is considered full-time for Financial Aid purposes
  • 6 hours is considered full-time for academic purposes

In addition, W grades will count in calculating the credit hour load.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar validates part-time/full-time on all student verifications.

Date: Updated January 2012

Author(s): Sally Page, Barbara Todd

Grade Proxy Protocol

Introduction and Background

With the implementation of Campus Solutions at the University of Colorado in Fall 2010, all faculty will be required to submit their final grades via web grading. The Campus Solutions software will allow the faculty to delegate the authority to enter final grades to others with the approval of the faculty member. This proxy mechanism for grade entry can be assigned to teaching assistants or others within the department who would have knowledge of the grades earned. It cannot be assigned, however, to a student enrolled in the class to be graded. The University requires the faculty member assigned to teach the course be the final authority for grades assigned, and is the only individual who can submit the grades for the term.

In the event the faculty member is unable to submit the grades, due to illness or other incapacitation, or other means beyond the control of the faculty member, the authority must be delegated to the chair or associate chair of the department, a program director, or other unit head.

Operational Protocol

Faculty members may designate one or more "proxies" to enter grades on their behalf. University protocol will require that individual be an employee of the University, and may not be a student enrolled in the class to be graded. All faculty members must be the final authority to submit their grades, via web grading, each semester. In the event the faculty member is unable to submit their grades, the authority will then be delegated to the chair or associate chair of the department, program director, or other unit head.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar and Dean for the faculty member.

Date: October 2009

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Grade Type of Pass/Fail on Class Rosters and Grade Rosters

Introduction and Background

Students have the option to select the pass/fail option for courses at the time of registration if allowed by college policy. These college policies differ in some ways, such as the total number of pass/fail hours that might be allowed, but almost unanimously, students may not take major and degree requirements for pass/fail. There is some concern that faculty knowledge of a student's pass/fail enrollment might influence what grade is assigned to the student. Because of this, the grade type of pass/fail will not print on a class or grade roster.

Operational Protocol

Grade types of pass/fail cannot be printed on a class roster or grade roster unless the course is only offered for pass/fail grading.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar. Both sets of rosters are automatically generated from the Student Information System according to student registrations.

Date: May 2008

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Honor Code Violations and Dropped Courses

Introduction and Background

Students sometime drop a course in which they have been accused of an honor code violation. If the student is found "responsible" for the violation and assigned a letter grade as part of the violation, the course must be re-added to the student's record so the grade can be assigned. The Council of Associate Deans (CAD's) approved the following on July 18, 2011 – "If a student drops a course while under Honor Code violation review, he/she could be reinstated into the class and given a grade of "F" if found guilty. If the student wanted to re-enroll in the course for a grade, then it would be up to the faculty member".


  1. Student drops the course.
  2. Upon finding the student responsible for an honor code violation, the Honor Code Council notifies the dean's office of their decision.
  3. If the student is no longer enrolled in the course, the dean's office will send to the Office of the Registrar a Change of Record Form with the final grade noted. The dean's office needs to notify the registrar's office that this is a reinstatement of the course resulting from an Honor Code violation. The use of the Z* grade should be included in the grade assigned.
  4. The Office of the Registrar reinstates the student into the course and assigns the letter grade. The following grading scheme should be used:
    ZD+ (for grades of D+)
    ZD (for grades of D)
    ZD- (for grades of D-)
    ZF (for grades of F)
    (In the event a different grade is needed, contact the ISIS Development Unit).
  5. This coding is established in the student record to indicate that the course was reinstated and a grade assigned due to an Honor Code violation. This coding must be checked each time a student complains or shows proof that a course was dropped from their schedule, but is now back on their record with a poor grade. The coded grade appears only in the grade input field on the Student Grades component, as well as the Enrollment Component in the "Grade in Official" field.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Academic units

Date: March 2013

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Late Registration Protocol

Introduction and Background

With the implementation of Campus Solutions at the University of Colorado in Fall 2010, undergraduate students who leave the University will have up to four semesters, including summers, to return to the University of Colorado, Boulder, without reapplying for admission. Because of this automatic process for re-enrolling at the University, the Boulder Campus will no longer have a late registration process unless the student waits to enroll for courses beyond census date.

In the event a new freshman or transfer student registers after the first day of classes, the Office of the Registrar will provide a report with their name to their school or college, as well as International Education, so the student can attend a make-up orientation session.

If any student registers for the term after the course census date in fall or spring, a late registration fee of $100 will be assessed to the student.

Operational Protocol

Students registering for main campus courses on or before the session census date will no longer be required to register through late registration, or assessed a late registration fee. Students registering after the census date, however, will be assessed a late registration fee of $100.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar

Date: October 2009

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Registration Time Assignment Priorities

Introduction and Background

In 1988, in planning for the implementation of our new, on-line registration system, priority registration was assigned by the Chancellor and Vice-Chancellors on the Boulder Campus:

Students with disabilities – this is to facilitate the student’s ability to get classes at a time when the student can schedule aid’s to help them with notes/getting to class, signers for the hearing impaired, or find a course in a classroom that is accessible for wheelchair access, etc.

Student Athletes – given to students in the NCAA sports that the University of Colorado, Boulder sponsors. The NCAA rules state that students may not miss a class to attend a practice. In addition, every student athlete must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours to compete. Student Athletic trainers have also been given priority time assignments due to the requirement that there must be medical aid at each practice. In additions, videographers and team managers who must also be in attendance at practices have also been granted priority registration.

No other group has been granted priority time assignments.

Operational Protocol

Students will be awarded with the following priorities in time assignments for registration:

  1. Students with disabilities
  2. Students participating in NCAA sports sponsored by the University of Colorado at Boulder or required to be in attendance at the NCAA sport practices.
  3. Students according to their "predicted" class standing:
    • Seniors
    • Freshman with 12 or less hours
    • Graduate students
    • Juniors
    • Sophomores
    • All remaining freshman
  4. As of spring 2013, students who are veterans (received an honorable discharge; have a DD214 verified by the Office of Veteran Services, and using their federal education benefits) will have priority registration "within their class" from their second semester of their freshmen year, through the end of their sophomore year. Veteran students registering their first term are not eligible for priority enrollment because of their required attendance at an orientation program.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar

Date: November 2009

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Retroactive/Post-Semester Adds

Introduction and Background

The dean's office has the option to approve a retroactive add to a course for a previous semester (post-semester) based upon extenuating circumstances. These retroactive/post-semester adds are initiated at some point after the grade cycle has been created for final grades. We currently have a number of students who have been approved for a retroactive add but have never been assigned a grade for the course.

Operational Protocol

Retroactive/post-semester grade changes will not be processed without a grade assigned for the student on the Course Enrollment form.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Dean's office of the student's college or school

Date: October 2009

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Stops that Prevent Registration

Introduction and Background

Students are prevented from registering for upcoming semesters if they violate certain criteria that impact the academic mission of the University, the health and safety of our students/faculty/staff, or major administrative processes. Some of these "stops" that prevent a student from registering for an upcoming term include academic dismissal, disciplinary or ethic violations, mental health holds, failing to comply with state or federal mandates, fall under state or federal financial aid guidelines, or owing money to the University as displayed on the students account in the Bursar’s Office. New requests that fall under these criteria will be reviewed. However, requests from departments outside of the Bursar’s office for students who owe money, have keys outstanding, or have borrowed equipment present a large administrative burden for tracking, and will be denied.

Operational Protocol

Registration holds may be placed upon students for upcoming semesters based upon criteria that supports the academic mission, health and safety reasons, represent state or federal policy (including financial aid), or that are overdue as demonstrated on the students’ ISIS account.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar

Date: July 2011

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Students who have Graduated but Still Enrolled in the Same Degree Program

Introduction and Background

Students register for future semesters prior to the University finalizing degrees for each term. Thus, some students who graduate for the term are discovered to have enrolled under the same program and plan they just graduated from. When students are found to be enrolled but graduated, and have not applied and confirmed for a new program, the Office of the Registrar will:

  • Change a student who recently received a bachelor's degree to a non-degree undergraduate program.
  • Change a student who recently received a master's or doctoral degree to a non-degree graduate program.

Upon changing these students to a non-degree program, the Office of the Registrar will notify them and ask them to take the following actions:

For undergraduates

  • Have the student notify their advisor if they are pursuing a second major post-graduation. If this is the case, the student will be changed back to degree status and coded for an -ADL major only.
  • Have the student apply for a second undergraduate degree if this is applicable.
  • Have the student apply for a graduate program if this is applicable.

For graduates:

  • Have the student apply for another masters, or a doctoral program if applicable.

Those students who do not notify the registrar's office will remain in the non-degree program and will register with all other Access students for future semesters.

Operational Protocol

Students who have enrolled for a future term but since graduated will be changed to non-degree status automatically unless they indicate to their advisor they are pursuing a second major post-graduation, or reapply to a new degree program.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar

Date: December 2010

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Students who cannot appeal their residency until after census date

Introduction and Background

Students whose petition for in-state residency has been denied have the opportunity to present a case to the Residency Tuition Appeals Board based upon:

  • Whether the Tuition Classification Officer (TCO) considered the appropriate evidence.
  • Whether the TCO applied the appropriate sections of the Colorado Tuition Classification statute.
  • Whether the judgment of the TCO in denying in-state status was unreasonable.

The Tuition Appeals Board is comprised of primarily registrar/enrollment management staff from the campuses at Boulder, Colorado Springs, Denver and Anschutz. Students must submit the request for review approximately 10 days prior to the Tuition Appeals Board meeting. The Board meets once per month (usually the second Friday of each month).

Because of the one-time per month schedule, some students are not able to have their appeal heard prior to census date (also the deadline to withdraw and receive a refund of tuition and fees, minus the enrollment deposit). For some students whose appeal is denied, they may choose to withdraw as they cannot afford another semester of out-of-state tuition.

Student billing will be notified of all changes.

Operational Protocol

Effective spring 2013, students who apply unsuccessfully for in-state residency classification by the priority decision deadline and whose appeal cannot be reviewed by the Tuition Appeals Board until the first hearing after census date will be allowed to withdraw from the University and only lose their enrollment deposit.

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Bursar's Office

Date: September 2012

Author(s): Barbara Todd

Student Readmission Protocol

Introduction and Background

With the implementation of Campus Solutions at the University of Colorado in Fall 2010, undergraduate students will have four consecutive terms (including summers) to return to the University of Colorado, Boulder, without reapplying for admission. This will provide the following benefits:

  • Will align our readmit policies with the other University campuses;
  • Will allow the flexibility for a student to move between the main campus and Continuing Education;
  • Will allow students to return to the University easier. In the past, students had to either pay a fee and reapply through the Time Out Program, or reapply for admission. This is a significant positive enrollment management practice.

Students will be able to accumulate up to three consecutive terms of "inactivity". For a term to be active, the student must have enrolled and withdrawn with W grades for the semester (W grades), or completed the semester and received grades for the term. Thus, the first semester with no registration activity is the first term of inactivity. The student must then return no later than the fourth term of inactivity. Refer to the chart on the attached page.

If the fourth semester to return is a summer semester, the student will be given an additional semester and allowed to return in the fall semester. While this actually gives the student four possible semesters of inactivity, and a return in the fifth semester, this better accommodates the plans of many students who take a break for a full year from classes.

Undergraduate students who are newly admitted to the University of Colorado at Boulder but never enroll for courses, or enroll and withdraw by census date, must reapply for admission to the University.

Undergraduate students will be able to purchase a "package" of services if they take a leave from the University. The "Stay Connected" program includes Wardenburg Health Insurance; access to Recreation Services; access to the library; early application for scholarships, etc. Access to the some University systems will also be granted to students during this time period.

Graduate students have a number of enrollment complexities, including time to degree, maintaining continuous enrollment while pursuing a doctoral degree, etc. Because of these complexities, students in the Graduate School, the Law School, and the MBA and executive programs must receive permission to leave and return to the University. Students in graduate programs will continue to use the Time Out Program if they are returning within one year, or through the readmission process.

Operational Protocol

Undergraduate students will have four consecutive terms (including summer) to return to the University of Colorado at Boulder without reapplying for admission. The student must return before the end of the fourth semester (unless the last returning semester is a summer, in which case the student may return the following fall semester). Students who do not return by this time may then reapply for admissions through the Office of Admissions. Graduate students, however, must reapply for admission or apply through the Time Out Program because of continuous enrollment and time-to-degree policies.

This protocol is for students who enroll beginning fall 2010.

Readmit Chart for Continuing Undergraduate Students

Who is Responsible to Interpret and Implement

Office of the Registrar
Dean's office of the student's college or school.

Date: September 2009

Author(s): Barbara Todd and Sally Page


Dear Student,

If you intend to graduate in May 2014, be sure to complete all the items below by the dates listed.

Do you need enrollment verification for Spring 2014? Good news! You can now obtain one without a trip to the Registrar’s office!

Welcome back! As classes start next week, remember the following dates for adding and dropping courses. Unless otherwise noted, all deadlines below end at 11:59 p.m. on the day listed.

Dear Student,

If you intend to graduate in December 2013, be sure to complete all the items below by the dates listed.

Important Dates

Loading Events...

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

  • Email us 
  • (303) 492-6970
  • In Person
    (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)

Regent Admin. Center 101
20 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309

See Department Contacts

Online Tools

Calendars & Schedules