Frequently Asked Questions
- $102-104 of this fee is for construction bonds.
- $19-21 is for operations.
The current fee is $98 per semester.
- To address nearly $25 million in deferred maintenance for the Recreation Center by renovating existing building systems and activity and service spaces, and addressing accessibility concerns and life-safety issues.
- To begin to close the significant gap (estimated at 181,500 ASF and costing $130 million) in the amount of indoor recreation/fitness space per student at UCB as compared to national standards. This project moves UCB closer to space standards and goals within the 2011-2021 Campus Master Plan draft.
- To add indoor programming space to support high participation rates at UCB, where students participate at a rate nearly 10% higher than the national average.
Key elements of this project include:
- Doubling Strength and Conditioning Spaces for drop-in weight & cardiovascular fitness training
- Adding an Indoor Turf, Multi-Activity Gym for programmed and informal recreation
- Adding an Outdoor Aquatics Facility & Deck Area
- Replacing/Upgrading Building HVAC, Roof, Fire Suppression Systems and Access
- Adding a Wellness & Athletic Training Suite for drop-in and program usage
- Doubling Multi-Purpose Group Fitness Studio Space for a range of fitness classes, martial arts, and drop-in dance and fitness activities
- Renovating all spaces for the general and special needs of students, including all locker/restrooms (also adding gender inclusive spaces), lobby and meeting spaces
- Reconstructing the existing, failing Ice Rink and related systems
- Renovating 2 existing Gyms, including adding new wood floors
- Replacing the Outdoor Tennis Courts
- Building a state-of-the-art Climbing Gym with Bouldering Area
Occupancy in late fall semester 2013.