Registration & Refund information
Outdoor Program Philosophy
The Outdoor Program at CU Boulder exists to provide outdoor recreational experiences for the CU Boulder community that emphasize skill acquisition, SAFETY, positive group dynamics, environmental awareness and FUN!
Before you register for any OP program offering, make sure to CLARIFY any questions you have regarding your ability to participate in the activity. Please make sure to read our refund policy and other trip/course requirement information.
Course Registration and Deadline Information
Registration for courses begins the FIRST day of the semester. You must be a Recreation Center member to participate in the Outdoor Program offerings unless a non-member price is noted. You can register online or in person at the OP info desk (credit card payment only). If you wish to pay by cash or check please go to the cashier desk located at the Recreation Center main entrance.
The registration deadline for all activities is the Wednesday prior to the pre-trip meeting/course start time unless otherwise stated. Early registration is to your advantage due to the small group size of our activities. All offerings have minimum and maximum numbers for group size.
In order to participate in one of our programs you must:
- Sign our Assumption of Risk Waiver (digital or paper copy)
- Provide proof of insurance
- Provide an active e-mail address
Course Cancellations & Refund Policies
The Outdoor Program reserves the right to cancel program offerings due to minimal registrations, inclement weather, or scheduling conflicts. The program is conducted on a non-profit basis and can only ensure minimum registration fees with proper student/instructor ratios.
A Full Refund will be issued if the Outdoor Program cancels the program offering
The Outdoor Program assumes no responsibility for notifying participants of trip cancellations or postponements if either no phone number and/or email or if an incorrect email and/or phone number is in the Rec Center computer system. Please update your information upon registering for a course.
Participant withdrawal Refunds
All refund deadlines are seven days prior to any pre-trip meeting, scuba or climbing gym course start date unless otherwise noted. Please contact the Outdoor Program regarding questions on participation PRIOR to registering.
- Refunds are NOT given following registration in an activity if a participant discovers they cannot complete the course. CLARIFY your ability to participate PRIOR to registration.
- The refund deadlines are 7 days prior to any pre-trip meeting or other OP program offering, unless otherwise noted.
- If you cancel prior to the stated refund deadline, you are entitled to a partial refund (minus a 20% processing fee). If you cancel following the refund deadline, NO REFUNDS ARE GIVEN. This refund policy still applies for emergency situations and for illness.
Inclement Weather Rescheduling Procedure
In the event that an activity is rescheduled due to inclement weather you may receive a full refund if you contact the Outdoor Program office and fill out the course refund form by 12pm on the Wednesday following the original scheduled trip date. If you do not contact the Outdoor Program office by 12pm on Wednesday we assume that you are committed to participate in the rescheduled event and therefore forfeit your right to a refund.
Transfers are only possible in certain circumstances and before the refund deadline. For all transfers, come to the Outdoor Program office.
Most CUOP courses and clinics require attendance of a pre-trip/course meeting in order to participate.
Equipment for Courses and Clinics
The Outdoor Program supplies all activity specific equipment required at no additional cost. You are permitted to use personal equipment after inspection. Note: there is not a course discount if personal equipment is used.
Equipment Usage on Outdoor Program courses:
- The Outdoor Program supplies both group and personal equipment required for our courses at no additional cost.
- If you provide your own equipment, there is not a price reduction for the stated course fee.
- Outdoor Programs course and rental equipment is entry level and institutional gear. If you are dissatisfied with what we provide you may always rent gear of your choice at a local outdoor shop at your own expense.
- In the event that equipment is damaged or lost you will be held fiscally responsible for any repair and/or replacement costs
Participants are expected to provide their own food for all CUOP activities unless the course description states that food is provided. On multi-day trips, food is typically purchased by the group and the cost is divided equally. Menu planning takes place at the pre-trip meeting.
Departure Location & Transportation
Trips meet and depart from the Student Recreation Center’s main entrance, unless otherwise stated.
Mon - Fri 10 am - 9 pm Saturday & Sunday 12 pm – 8pm Closed until 12 pm on Thursday for setting
Monday - Friday
10 am - 5 pm
OP Rental Center
Monday - Friday 10 am - 6 pm Saturday & Sunday 12 pm – 8pm
Outdoor Program Events