University of Colorado at Boulder
CU: Home A to Z map

Injury Clinic

Injury Clinic

Musculoskeletal Injury Clinic (MSK)

The Department of Recreational Sports, in partnership with the Wardenburg Health Center Sports Medicine, provides a FREE Musculoskeletal Injury Clinic (MSK) to all CU students and $20 for Faculty/Staff. It provides screenings and treatment for minor injuries involving muscles and joints by a physical therapist.

Recommendations for injury prevention and self-care will also be provided.
No taping services provided during this clinic. Wounds, fractures, neck, back, rib, and chest injuries do not qualify for this clinic. MSK is available at the CU Rec Center during the Fall/Spring Semester and year round at Wardenburg Health Center. Walk-in Clinic Only.

Spring 2013 - Fall 2013 - MSK Recreation Center Hours

MSK Clinic at the Recreation Center is closed until Spring 2014.

Spring 2013 - MSK Hours at Wardenburg

Monday - Friday 1:00pm – 4:30pm
Please call Wardenburg Sports Medicine for more details 303-492-6280
Location: 1st Floor Wardenburg Health center

[back to top]

Physical Therapist

Annie Sirontniak

Physical Therapist Annie Sirotniak, PT, DPT has been practicing at Wardenburg's Sports Medicine Department for over 15 years. A former professional cyclist and prior CU women's cycling coach, Annie brings experience, knowledge, and enthusiasm to her role in the MSK clinic, and believes strongly in Wardenburg's mission - "to educate and care for members of the campus community."

Education - BS Kinesiology summa cum laude 1991 University of Colorado Boulder; masters' degree in PT 1993 University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and clinical doctorate in physical therapy 2007 at UCHSC.

[back to top]

Spring 2013 - Athletic Training Services and Hours

The Athletic Training Services are finished for Spring 2013. The training room will reopen Fall 2013.

*Hours Subject to change; please call 303-492-6931 for the most accurate hours. We will do our best to update hours in the announcement box to the right and on the First Aid/Training Room Door.

[back to top]

Frequently Asked Questions

I injured myself and am still having pain when I exercise or play sports. What should I do?
"RICE," for "Rest, ice, compression and elevation," is the rule for acute injuries. Come get evaluated by a physical therapist at the MSK clinic.
Why is it called MSK?
It's an abbreviation for MusculoSKeletal injury clinic.
Why shouldn't I just wait it out?
It's better to have an injury evaluated as soon as possible, so that you can get back to doing what you love to do as soon as possible!
If I know I have a fracture, should I come to the MSK clinic?
You should go to Wardenburg, Urgent Care, or the emergency room. Find additional information on locations at Wardenburg Home Page
I am bleeding, what should I do?
Contact the Recreation Facility Supervisor for assistance.
Do I need an appointment?
No, it's walk in.
How long will I have to wait?
It's first come, first served, so it depends on how busy we are.
How much does the clinic cost?
The clinic is free to full-fee paying students, and $20 to faculty and staff. Athletic Training Services are free to all recreation center members.
Is a physical therapist the same thing as a personal trainer?
A physical therapist helps people recover from injuries or diseases of the muscles, joints, nerves, or bones. Physical therapists are legally able to diagnose and treat musculoskeletal impairments. Physical therapy schools require two to three years after a four-year undergraduate degree. After formal training, one must pass a national examination to become a licensed physical. A personal trainer typically works one on-one with an individual and is generally paid by the hour or exercise session. They can not legally diagnose injuries or treat impairments. A personal trainer is not licensed by the state. They can become certified through a wide range of organizations. A few organizations require a college degree to become certified but not all do.
I don't have the CU sponsored Health Insurance Plans. Can I still come to MSK?
Yes; however, it is helpful to know what your insurance covers in case you need further care. We can help you understand how to access health care.
I want to learn more about why I keep getting injured. Should I just "google" my injury, or go to "WebMD"?
No, come in and see us!

[back to top]