University of Colorado at Boulder
CU: Home A to Z map

Meeting Minutes

Hockey

April 26, 2012

Attendance: Richard Bateman, Bruce Deakyne, Colin Finch, Cheryl Kent, John Lanz, Nan Lu, Patricio Nieto, Sam Rhoades, Ellesse Spaeth, Alex Voigt

  1. Call to Order, Approval of Minutes, Approval of Agenda
    1. Mr. Rhoades motions to approve minutes from April 19. Mr. Finch seconds. Ms. Spaeth calls to question. No opposition to acclimation, motion carries.
    2. Mr. Rhoades motions to approve agenda. Ms. Spaeth seconds. Mr. Rhoades calls to question. No opposition to acclimation, motion carries.
  2. CUSG Report
    1. Mr. Deakyne: Nothing to report.
    2. Ms. Lu: Meg Rapp will be giving an update on the project at Finance Board at 5:00pm on May 1.
  3. Program Area Liaison Reports - None.
  1. Executive/Task Team Reports
    1. Ms. Lu: I have nothing other than fact that we are trying to map out plans for summer. Once renovation starts, there are a lot of things we need to be ready for. how move patrons lockers how to inform them of changes. Groundbreaking in June.
    2. Mr. Deakyne: Spenser and Zach will be returning. Ellesse and John are not currently formal voting members. Two voting positions will be open when Patricio and I leave. We hope to have those positions filled and two ex-officio members.
  2. Chair’s Report - None.
  1. Director’s Report
    1. Ms. Kent: There will be a workshop on electrical systems the week after finals. We are waiting on dates, times and agenda items of more workshops. Following June 2, staging for construction will begin. Parking will be affected. Today, we met with Meg Rapp from Davis Partnership regarding informational displays about the new Rec. There is a new phasing plan available and it looks pretty good. We will get some information about the lastest phasing plan on the website. In the mean time, we are working on gathering information about the changes that are going to be taking place. At one point, the East entrance will close. There is a possibility of the West entrance closing, as well. When we know, the information will go up on the website. Site prep will begin on June 2.
      Mr. Finch
      : Where do we sit on the budget?
      Mr. Deakyne: We have not heard, but we are working on keeping changes budget neutral. After we go through Design Development, we have to go through the entire value engineering process again. We will know sometime in May if the pool and tennis courts will be included.
  2. Facility Requests - None.
  1. Old Business - None.
  1. New Business
    1. Request for limited executive decision power when Rec Board is not in session
      1. Mr. Deakyne: This will give the Chair, Vice Chair or Director the power to make decisions that are time critical this summer.
        Ms. Lu: In the past, this was informally done. It will continue during the ongoing project this summer. We need to be able to plan and make changes to our operation at short notice. When the Board is not in session, we need to have the ability to make decisions.
        Ms. Kent: On the program level, we may change seasons and prices for sports. We have to address.
        Ms. Lu: Program offering and pricing are subject to change because of the construction. We’ve asked Rec staff to be creative in trying new programs to make up for things that we can’t do. We will have to use our best judgment and benchmarking. This temporary and it is very limited. The approved decisions are the operating decisions specified in this memo. If you want to make broader or narrower, it is up to you.
        Mr. Deakyne: We could write this into the bylaws, with application only during construction.
        Mr. Finch: I would be hesitant to change bylaws. This is a temporary change.
        Mr. Nieto: It could be written into the bylaws for exceptional cases.
        Mr. Deakyne: The bylaws that we are creating now are really only the bylaws during construction. They are reviewed on a yearly basis.
        Ms. Lu:  What is lacking in our case is that the bylaws do not allow executive power. This should be decided on a case-by-case basis.
        Mr. Finch: The way this is written says that the Director can make changes without going to the Chair for approval. I suggest that we add language that says if the Chair or Vice Chair cannot be contacted within a certain time, the director can make the decision.
        Mr. Deakyne: Also, a clause should be added saying this policy should be reviewed after winter break in January 2014.
        Mr. Finch:  I just want to make sure that this doesn’t become manipulated or used as a tool to bypass student oversight for changing things.
        Mr. Deakyne: If a joint decision is made by the Director and Chair or Vice Chair, they should let Rec Board know within 48 hours. We are leaning towards an approval of this memo with the changes next week.
    2. Bylaw Review
      1. Mr. Deakyne: Leg. Council is supposed to appoint three people to sit on the Rec Board. To be consistent, they changed their bylaws so that we nominate all six members and all six have to be ratified by Leg. Council. We have to decide how we want to work email voting or whether any vote can be made by email.
        Ms. Kent: It is difficult to insure quality conversation via email. Is there a certain level of decision making that can be put to vote via email? If someone says they want to discuss a matter, then we have a discussion.
        Mr. Finch: Controversial items have to be discussed by the Board. We could allow proxy email votes if the board can’t convene and a decision must be made.
        Ms. Kent: New member training needs to be discussed. It is currently loose. There is no formal orientation or training.
  2. Buff Up The Rec
    1. Ms. Kent: The drawings that went around are changing again. DRB loved the buffalo shaped pool. But, I did let them know that it needs to go CU presidents office. I made a request Deb Coffin to have a donor wall. Trophy cases need to be talked about.
  3. Announcements
    1. Mr. Deakyne: Triathlon team won Nationals. It is their 13th or 16th championship.
    2. Ms. Kent: $35k raised for cancer research at Relay for Life.
    3. Mr. Finch: Bruce won the Male Athlete of the Year award.
  4. Adjournment
    1. Mr. Rhoades motions. Ms. Spaeth seconds. Ms. Voigt calls to question. Motion carries.