University of Colorado at Boulder
CU: Home A to Z map

Meeting Minutes

Hockey

April 19, 2012

  1. Call to Order, Approval of Minutes, Approval of Agenda
    1. Mr. Rhoades motions to approve minutes from April 5. Ms. Voigt seconds. Mr. Nieto calls to question. No opposition to acclimation, motion carries.
    2. Mr. Rhoades motions to approve agenda for April 19. Mr. Nieto seconds. Ms. Voigt calls to question. No opposition to acclimation, motion carries.
  2. CUSG Report
    1. Mr. Deakyne:We had elections last week. The Pulse ticket won. They expressed that they supported the Rec Center in debate and personal conversations. Wyclef Jean is coming to the Coors Events Center tomorrow. Barack Obama is coming on Tuesday.
  3. Program Area Liaison Reports
    1. Ms. Spaeth: Laura doesn’t have anything for us.
    2. Mr. Deakyne:  We will keep contact with the staff during Buff Up the Rec and make sure the program is taken care of. Compromises will have to be made but we will do our best to make sure everyone is happy.
  4. Executive/Task Team Reports
    1. Ms. Lu: If you need reference letter let Cheryl know. Please allow 2 weeks and provide a copy of your resume. New project schedule and phasing plan just came in today. We haven’t had a chance to review them.  During the next two weeks our staff will conduct an intensive review.
    2. Ms. Belz: On April 28th, there will be a basketball tournament in the gym. There will also be a concert in Balch and Macky on the evening of the 28th. We will be  busy with 9 lacrosse camps this summer. These camps will bring in significant revenue but they will beat up the fields pretty badly. Housing and Dining is sponsoring and NACRHA event that will bring in about 3000 students from across country. There will be a barbeque on Business and Farrand fields in early June. We have a busy summer coming up.
    3. Mr. Jorgensen: Fitness Wellness has made the decision to lower the summer membership price. The volume of passes drops in the summer and the fee has been adjusted accordingly in an attempt to get new members in the door. The Allfir pass price was lowered.summer membership lowered price. Volume of passes drop in summer fee adjusted (lowered) accordingly and trying to get new student in door. Allfit pass price lowered.
      Ms. Lu: In the past we asked for Board’s approval. We will reassess the pass prices if the need comes up.
    4. Ms. Lu: Cheryl asked me to remind everyone about workshops. Please attend if you can make it. Tomorrow is Design Review Board from 1-3pm if anyone can make it.
  5. Chair’s Report
    1. Mr. Deakyne: DRB and workshops are next week. Try to make as many as you can, especially Steering at 11am on Monday. There will be focus groups throughout the day geared in specific areas.
  6. Director’s Report- None.
  1. Facility Requests- None.
  1. Old Business- None.
  1. New Business
    1. Summer Fitpass Discount Proposal
      1. Mr. Jorgensen: Nicole came in and presented numbers trying to change our pass system to one pass. If you get in the door, you get into classes. In the end, this will create more revenue and better customer service. This pass was approved for this last semester and we are trying to continue it into the the summer. We have adjusted the price to account for drop in classes. For the whole summer, the price will be $50 and $25 for half of the term.
        Mr. Deakyne: What is the fee for a full semester?
        Mr. Jorgensen: $85 for the full semester.
        Ms. Lu: We had many rounds of discussion on how to package the fitness pass with membership. Nicole and Lara collaborated to see if we could bundle membership and the fitness pass together.
        Ms. Belz: Is there a way of managing the Fitpass for expiring in the middle of June?
        Ms. Lu: It will be half-priced during the middle of the summer.
        Mr. Jorgensen: There’s a lot of benchmarking and data behind it. This number is not spontaneous.
        Mr. Rhoades: Can we document this change?
        Ms. Lu: Yes.
        Mr. Rhoades motions to approve summer Fitpass price of $50 for the full term and $25 for half term. Ms. Spaeth seconds. Mr. Nieto calls to question. Motion passes 6-0-0.
    2. Bylaws
      1. Mr. Deakyne: I talked to Blake. If we can get the Bylaws together before next week we could approve Thursday. Otherwise, we could hold a meeting on May 3. Let’s shoot for next week.
    3. New Field Maintenance Rates Proposal
      1. Ms. Belz: This is for informational purposes only. We voted on it 3 years ago. We only charge a field maintenance fee to groups over 250 people. We picked the number 250 because 90% of student groups have fewer than 250 members. My proposal is to simplify the rates by grouping into an average number. I am also proposing that one-day events cost less. Consecutive day event fees add up to higher revenue.
    4. Chair Elections
      1. Mr. Deakyne: I emailed Zach and Spenser to see if they want to run. We could do a Skype interview, but they are 8 or 9 hours ahead. We will discuss this further after the meeting, since we still have time, when we jump into executive session.
    5. Mr. Jorgensen: I have a proposal from two students for a project to combat the Friday and Saturday night party scene. It has grown out of a class project from two students. It is not likely to come to fruition. They were wondering what it would take to bring the event from vision to completion. With construction there may not be any space. This is just for your information.
  2. Buff Up The Rec
    1. Mr. Deakyne:We are getting into design development. This phase consists of working out details, placing doors in rooms, interior and exterior details. If you can make the workshops, please try to attend. The pool is shaped like a buffalo.
  3. Announcements
    1. Ms. Lu: Bruce was nominated to receive Student Leader Legacy award. 
    2. Mr. Jorgensen: If you RSVP, the Student Appreciation Banquet at Coors Events Center on Sunday at 5:30pm.
  4. Adjournment
    1. Move into executive session. Mr. Deakyne motions to move into executive session. Ms. Voigt seconds. Mr. Nieto calls to question. Motion carries.