January 25, 2011
Attendance: Ellis Bennett, Jessica Cicchinelli, Bruce Deakyne, Colin Finch, Spencer Graham, George Hoey, Cheryl Kent, Nan Lu, Alicia Muirhead, Tim Jorgenson, Peter Swanson, Zack Strang.
- CALL TO ORDER at 5:44 pm.
- CUSG Report
- Executive/Task Team Reports
- Liaison Reports
- Mr. Deakyne- I am working on reassigning these for people who graduated or who are abroad so I should have those soon.
- Chair’s Report
- Director’s Report
- Budget (Looking over revised 2011-2012 budget requests)
- Ms. Lu- The change from last week is in the budget neutral adjustments: (on page 5) Reduce childcare hourly by $10,992 for a total saving of $11,422 and change the General Labor I position to General Professional II position.
- Mr. Deakyne-I have a question about page 6 and the rink rental prices. Haven’t we already increased the skate rental prices?
- Ms. Lu- Yes that takes place starting this year but isn’t taken into account until next fiscal year.
- Mr. Strang- Who will run the scoreboards for the intramural basketball games if we eliminate that position?
- Mr. Jorgenson- The supervisors will work the scoreboards.
- Ms. Muirhead- What is the $1500 reduction in Administration hourly?
- Ms. Lu- annually
- Mr. Deakyne- That is the person at the front desk in the admin. office.
- Mr. Finch- Where does the extra money that we are accumulating appear on here?
- Ms. Lu- if you look at the bottom- all surplus will go to field R&R.
- Mr. Deakyne- When we give a refund for a debt service margin, where does that money go?
- Ms. Lu- It goes back to where it came from. All the money comes in to one pot and from that it is distribute d out to individual cost centers.
- Ms. Kent- Does anybody need to have a basics run-down for childcare?
- Mr. Deakyne- yes
- Mr. Jorgenson- The discussion came from the usage sheet. Based upon this, the position should be reduced in a 3-5% cut from the numbers found over the years. When they drop their children off we want to know where they’re at so we found that 70% of user were non-students and 30% were students.
- Mr. Deakyne- One of the reasons we looked at where people were going, we didn’t want to take away from the programs and classes, but it looks like they are fairly spread out and participating in open Rec.
- Ms. Cicchinelli- All grad students and undergrads put childcare on their top 3 things to cut so students aren’t benefiting from this service so much.
- Ms. Kent- We are looking at increasing the fees and see what happens.
- Mr. Jorgenson- If we reduce from three to two hours to be open, parents can still maximize that time while we can cut hours. Also, we charge $2 per hour vs. $5 at other Rec centers and even higher for babysitters so we can afford to raise prices. Also, getting rid of times with less usage such as Sundays could help.
- Ms Lu-I have not changed anything to the capital request details except for adding a dollar amount for #9 (page 10).
- Mr. Finch- There are only two things that have changed in the budget requests since last week.
- Ms. Lu- A list of all the changes- updated missions statement, page 5- in the discussion for budget scenarios, on page 6 and 7 we need to put alphabets in front of items, page 7- increase intramural revenue by raising fees, last two bullet points I will add the dollar amount, change administration hourly annually to $1500.
Ms. Cicchinelli motioned to approve 0% budget requesting $5,127,082 in student fees, -3% for $4,978,562 in student fees, and -5% for 4,879,551 in student fess. Mr. Strang seconded.
Motion passed 3-0-2.
- Project Update
- Ms. Kent- I do want to check in with steering committee on our campaign strategy. If we plan on meeting on February 12th, will that give us time to strategize before and prepare.
- Ms. Muirhead- Are we going to have the survey people come back?
- Mr. Deakyne- If we can get significant funding from an external source then that is possible but without that it is a probable no.
- Mr. Kent- However, Sitcombs and Douglas did say they could help us for a small block of time with advice to run an effective campaign but will not do it for us.
- Mr. Finch- I work for Colorado.gov and we have offered to donate our time to develop our website and integrate social marketing through professional designers for free for the campaign. I would not be involved but my boss is supportive as her son was a past chair for the Rec Board.
- Ms. Lu- Would your company want to be acknowledged on the website?
- Mr. Finch- No it would just be Colorado.gov, which is a state portal and appears on most states websites.
- Mr. Deakyne- Next steering committee meeting on February 1st, I will be assigning tasks to people for the campaign.
- Ms. Kent- As far as the project goes, we are reading a draft of the project plan. We will work on another draft for the end of this week and we will have a presentation to this group by the meeting on February 10th.
- Ms. Kent- I have a PowerPoint that I am revising that I will send out through Bruce.
- Chair’s Report
- Ms. Kent- We have Steve Nahara joining our staff next Wednesday so we will be having a meet and greet with him then from 10-11 am.
- Ms. Kent- We are having trouble with the CU branding in that we will not get to continue using Ralphie in the logo for Club sports, it is restricted to athletics only. We will be meeting to try and bring back the logo for Club Sports. It doesn’t mean we a veto change our uniforms in the next year but we may have to if we don’t change this. As it stands, we don’t even have permission to replace what we have until we request funding.
- Mr. Swanson- I heard about this today although we all knew that this was going on but didn’t know what it meant. Rebranding is very disappointing.
- Mr. Swanson- They want a system-wide identity and pride.
- Ms. Kent- John Lesley has offered to speak with us about the rationale behind this decision.
- Mr. Finch- I don’t think that anyone really understands what that means.
- Ms. Kent- It is important to know what we can actually do.
- Mr. Deakyne- Some people are concerned that if an incident happens with Club Sports on the road, for example, they may associate that with the Athletics Department instead of the Club Sports Department.
- Ms. Kent- They are trying to build pride around the CU not the Buffalo.
- Adjournment at 7:00 pm.
Mr. Finch motioned to adjourn. Mr. Deakyne seconded. Motion passed 5-0-0.