Resources for Students
Occasions Online is a collection of prize-winning works written by students in the Program of Writing and Rhetoric (PWR) classes. For over a decade, the PWR (formerly UWRP) has honored strong student writing with their print edition of Occasions, and Occasions Online continues in that tradition.
Occasions 2012Prize winners and publications coming soon.
Occasions 2011Lower-Division Prize Winners
- Kara Bongiovanni, Argument Category
"Hanging in the Balance: The Future of Manned Spaceflight"
- Anna Jensen, Personal Narrative Category
"Liberty and Loss"
- Zach Siegel, Inquiry Category
"Modern Iran: An Examination of the Foundations of Hostile Foreign Policy"
- Rachel Stuckey, Analysis Category
"Correcting Misrepresentation: On Progressive Representations of Childhood in Female and Queer-Authored Avant-Garde Cinema "
- Wade Holland, Business Writing Prize
"Biomimicry: The Answers May Be Right in Front of Us"
- Djavan Nascimento, Upper-Division Creative Nonfiction Prize
"Cold Felt and a Warm Autumn Night"
- Amara Seng, Upper-Division Arts & Sciences Prize
"From Hand to Hoof: Antibiotic Use in Livestock and Antibiotic Resistance in Humans"
- Ian Milligan, Mackison Prize
"Preventing Drug-Resistant Bacteria Through the Regulation of Antibiotic Use in Agriculture"
Lower-Division Prize Winners
- Sara Falk-Mann, Analysis Category
- Kelsey Lindsey, Argument Category
"Harry Potter and Christianity: Treacherous Duo or Surprising Partners?"
- Amanda Lubeck, Analysis Category, Second
"Teen Pregnancy in Hollywood: Nine Months of Deception"
- Mariana Rodriguez, Personal Narrative Category
"Blonde is a Primary Color"
- Samantha Wellington, Inquiry Category
"Deinstitutionalization and the Current State of Mental Health Care"
- Peter Bowlin, Mackison Prize
"Computer Engineering Major"
- Tyler Dodge, Business Writing Prize
"A New Green GM: How to Sell Cars Again"
- Brian Sheldon, Upper-Division Arts & Sciences Prize
"The Nature of Redemption and the Limits of Pessimism in King Lear "