Departmental Vehicles

On this page

Purchasing a Vehicle

The acquisition of university fleet vehicles involves three departments: the requesting campus department, Transportation Services (TS), and Procurement Service Center.

To purchase a vehicle:

  • The requesting department prepares a requisition with the Procurement Service Center. Be sure to copy in Transportation Services on the requisition. The department purchasing the vehicle needs to provide the final approval to TS for the University of Colorado to accept and pay for the vehicle.
  • PTS provides advice on mechanical specifications and provides cost estimates using price lists negotiated by the university.
  • The Procurement Service Center provides the name of suppliers; negotiates price, terms, and delivery; and purchases the vehicle after specifications are reviewed by TS.
  • The appropriate campus controller’s office administers the financing of the university fleet vehicles when necessary.
  • At the time of delivery, PTS inspects vehicles to ensure that specifications are met, assigns a CU asset number, and applies a university logo to the vehicle. 

Disposing of a Vehicle

A vehicle being retired from service must be released by its department toTransportation Services (TS). When retiring a vehicle to TS:

  • The department should remove any special equipment that has been installed. The returning department may schedule the removal of such equipment by TS’ garage, and is responsible for any associated costs.
  • An emissions test is required one week prior to turn-in.
  • Remove trash and personal items from the vehicle.
  • The gas credit card, registration, vehicle packet, and all sets of keys must be submitted to TS.

PTS sends the vehicle to auction to be sold. Proceeds that exceed the cost of disposal shall be credited to the department that funded the vehicle. 

Data Reporting

All departments must report fleet vehicle mileage to Transportation Services by the 20th of each month. This information is used to inform departments when their vehicles require servicing. Accurate and timely reporting is important. 


University Risk Management oversees the insurance program for the university fleet. Departments are responsible for funding insurance costs associated with vehicles under their control. All vehicles titled to the University of Colorado or for which the university is responsible must be covered by university insurance unless an exception has been approved by University Risk Management.

Transportation Services distributes proof of insurance cards for fleet vehicles. If your vehicle is missing one, please stop by the Transportation Services' office at 3205 Marine Street or call 303-735-7152 to arrange for a card to be sent to you. 

Questions About the Fleet Rules?

View our Fleet Management Rules.