Faculty/Staff Bus Pass

On this page

EcoPass – Faculty/Staff Bus Pass 

CU Boulder provides RTD EcoPasses for eligible faculty and staff. The EcoPass provides unlimited access to all local, limited, express, and regional bus service, in all fare zones, including the SkyRide bus service to DIA*. Utilizing smart technology, you just tap your pass on the card reader as you get on the bus, and find a seat.  It’s that simple.

(*Not valid on special services, including but not limited to Access‑a‑Ride, BroncosRide, BuffRide, RockiesRide, RunRide, Saturday Shopper, and SeniorRide.)

Eligibility for Faculty/Staff

All CU-Boulder faculty and staff who are full and part-time continuing employees working with a 50% or greater full-time percentage appointment are eligible. Continuing employees include classified staff, professional exempt employees, and faculty with permanent appointments.

Only CU employees with Boulder campus appointments or home departments and system employees are eligible to participate at this time. 

Eligibility for Retirees

Employees who have retired from and come back to work on the CU-Boulder campus are eligible for the EcoPass Program. To get an EcoPass you must have an active work appointment on the Boulder campus or as a system employee in the Peoplesoft record system. 

Who is not Eligible

Student and temporary employees are not included in the EcoPass program. Volunteers, contractors, spouses and other family members, and CU retirees who do not have an active work appointment on the Boulder Campus or for the CU system are not eligible for EcoPass benefits. Employees of other CU campuses are not eligible. 

Check your Eligibility

For additional help with eligibility concerns, please e-mail our Transportation Outreach Coordinator.

Obtaining an EcoPass

  • New employees who are eligible for an EcoPass Smart Card, will receive their passes when receiving their Buff One Cards (university ID card).  The EcoPass is a Smart Card, which you tap onto a validator when entering the bus. Be sure that you show the driver your pass in order to verify identity after tapping the validator.
  • EcoPass Smart Cards may be obtained at the Buff OneCard Office located in the Center for Community (C4C) room N180. For more information, call the office at 303-492-0355.
  • EcoPasses are automatically electronically renewed each year for active CU employees.
  • If you are listed as less than 50% of full-time in PeopleSoft, then you may be eligible for an EcoPass. Have your supervisor fill out the EcoPass Eligibility Request form to request an eligibility check.

EcoPass Card Not Working?

If your pass shows as either Dormant or “Invalid” when scanned on the bus, please send an email to buffscommute@colorado.edu and PTS will advise how to get you up and running again.

CHIP Permits

If you cancel your CU faculty/staff parking permit in favor of using your EcoPass to ride the bus, or to use another alternate mode of transportation, you become eligible to buy CHIP permits. If you drive to work less than twice per week, the CHIP permit will give you a less expensive alternative than the monthly permit. If you need to drive two or more times per week, we suggest retaining your monthly permit.

CHIP permits are temporary permits sold at a rate discounted from the one-day permit rate. Please call our office (303-492-7384) for the current CHIP permit rate. CHIP permits are sold only for lots 169, 256, 308, 436, and 560. They are not refundable. Permits for lots managed by the RBS, Alumni, Continuing Education, and Athletic departments are not eligible for replacement with CHIP permits.

You are eligible for CHIP permits when:

  • you are eligible for the faculty/staff EcoPass;
  • you cancel your faculty/staff or buffalo permit;
  • you have held a PTS permit for a lot managed by PTS continually for a year.

EcoPass Extra

Use your EcoPass to get great discounts at local shops!

The university partners with the City of Boulder to bring EcoPass users great discounts at local stores. Just show your EcoPass Smart Card at participating stores to receive discounts on products and services.

Visit the city of Boulder's EcoPass Extra web page for a list of participating businesses.