Prior to July 1, 2012, the Boulder campus's surplus property program operated as a “designated off-site disposal facility” in accordance with Colorado Surplus Property HB 06-1075 Procedures for Higher Education, as agreed upon by Colorado Correctional Industries (CCI) and the Colorado Commission on Higher Education. In 2011, C.R.S 17-24-106 was amended to exclude institutions of higher education from the requirements of CCI's surplus property program. This policy formally establishes authority for administering the campus' surplus property program and outlines requirements for the program to help ensure that the institution meets its fiduciary responsibilities.
- The Department of Facilities Management Property Services shall be responsible for administering the disposition of all surplus property for the Boulder campus. For purposes of this policy, surplus property includes all equipment, furniture and other property that is not built into or permanently fastened to the walls, ceilings or floors of a building.
- The Surplus Property Program shall include the following:
- Guidance for campus departments regarding disposal of surplus property.
- Processes for departments to designate property as surplus, the subsequent removal of the property from campus facilities and redeployment of surplus property to campus departments.
- Disposal of surplus property that cannot be redeployed utilizing methods that optimize the return to the university, including, but not limited to, fixed-price sales, warehouse auctions and online auctions as well as recycling or disposing of what cannot be sold, utilizing best practices for sustainability.
- Data destruction procedures for the surplus of electronic storage devices that prevent the unauthorized disclosure of private or sensitive data and comply with all applicable federal, state and university policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- The tracking and disposal of surplus property that is classified as universal hazardous waste, such as electronic devices, in accordance with all applicable federal, state and university policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Implementation and maintenance of procedures and systems to track and report on surplus property activity and ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and university policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Procedures governing the transfer of Principal Investigator research property from CU-Boulder to another institution and ensuring that all property is received by the other institution.
- Procedures for departments to request authorization for direct disposal of surplus property when direct disposal is deemed to be in the best interest of the institution.
- Procedures to prevent conflicts of interest when selling surplus property to state and university employees.
- Detailed procedures for the disposal surplus property are available on the Facilities Management website at http://www.colorado.edu/fm/distribution-center/property-services.