What are the goals of the Physics2000 Educational Initiative?
- To make physics more accessible to students and people of all ages and to counter
its current negative image.
- by developing an innovative Internet Website, aimed at all ages, emphasizing imagery,
interactivity and hierarchical organization.
- by developing live classroom courses for undergraduate non-science majors with
unconventional topical organization and web support.
- To demonstrate the connection between modern technology and earlier basic research.
- by working backwards from familiar current devices and
technologies to general
principles established much earlier by basic experiment and theory.
- To foster an appreciation of the accomplishments of 20th century physics, as we
approach the year 2000.
- by focusing public attention on current research achievements in physics and
explaining their significance.
- by developing new inderdisciplinary and cross-topical undergraduate courses for
both majors and non-majors.