Phone: (303) 492-8297
Office: HLMS 280
Information: Faculty Page
Web page: http://spot.colorado.edu/~morristo/
Curriculum Vitae: cv.pdf
WESLEY MORRISTON (PhD, Northwestern, 1972) has been teaching at CU-Boulder since 1972.
Area of Interest: Metaphysics and Epistemology, Philosophy of Religion, and Existentialism.
Current Research: Philosophy of Religion. He pursues this subject in a very traditional way -- fiddling with the classical arguments for and against the existence of God and also with various puzzles in philosophical theology. Areas of special interest currently include the problem of evil and the relationship between God and moral truth.
For more information, see Professor Morriston's personal website and CV.
- Skeptical Demonism: A failed response to a Humean challenge
In Justin McBrayer and Trent Dougherty (eds), Skeptical Theism: New Essays (Oxford University Press, 2014), pp. 221-235.
- Doubts abot the kalam cosmological argument
in Moreland, Meister, and Sweis, Debating Christian Theism (Oxford University Press, 2013), pp. 20-32.
- Ethical Criticism of the Bible: The Case of Divinely Mandated Genocide
Sophia, Vol. 51 (2012), No. 1, pp. 117-135. (doi: 10.1007/s11841-011-0261-5)
- Beginningless Past, Endless Future, and the Actual Infinite
Faith and Philosophy, Vol. 27, No. 4 (Oct. 2010), pp. 439-450.
- God and the Ontological Foundations of Morality
Religious Studies, volume 48 (2012), issue 01, pp. 15-34. (© Cambridge University Press)
- What if God commanded something terrible? A worry for divine-command meta-ethics
Religious Studies, volume 45 (2009), issue 03, pp. 249-267. (© Cambridge University Press)
- The "Evidential Argument from Goodness"
The Southern Journal of Philosophy, (2004) Vol. XLII, pp. 87-101.
- Must Metaphysical Time Have a Beginning?
Faith and Philosophy, Vol. 20, No. 3 (July 2003), pp. 288-306.
- Creation ex Nihilo and the Big Bang
Philo, Vol. 5, No. 9 (Spring-Summer 2002).
- Must There Be a Standard of Moral Goodness Apart from God?
Philosophia Christi, Series 2, Vol. 3, no.1, 127-138.
- Omnipotence and Necessary Moral Perfection: Are they compatible?
Religious Studies, Vol. 37 (June 2001), 143-160. (© Cambridge University Press)
- What Is So Good About Moral Freedom?
The Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 50, Issue 3 (July 2000), 344-358.
- God's Answer to Job
Religious Studies, Vol. 32 (1996), 339-356. (© Cambridge University Press)