PBA Home >
Institutional Research & Analysis >
Surveys > AAUDE-NSSE Data Sharing
AAUDE-NSSE Data Sharing
With Version 2 (2013+) and Version 1 data
Click here for archived information on version 1
The National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) has been administered annually
at selected AAUDE institutions each spring 2000 and after. Participation is voluntary. Data sharing is coordinated by the University of
Colorado Boulder. AAUDE is the Association of American Universities Data Exchange. 34 AAU
schools have used NSSE at least once 2009-2013.
Spring 2013 was the first administration of NSSE 2.0, known here as v2, version 2. Nine AAUDE’s participated, eight using the AAUDE
questions (revised for 2.0) and sharing data (Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas, Michigan St, Nebraska, Ohio St, Washington, Tulane), one
school administering but doing neither (Carnegie Mellon).
For AAUDE schools - How to participate
- AAUDE-NSSE participation means two things: Use of AAUDE optional questions, and sharing response-level data.
Participants can do questions only, or sharing only, or both. Most but not all do both.
- List of institutions (Excel) with years participating, record of data-sharing status, record of
optional-question use, plans. (Partic.xlsx)
- AAUDE participation or data-sharing agreement (Word, ParticForm.docx): AAUDE institutions
which have participated or are planning to participate in NSSE in any year are urged to complete the agreement and
return to Colorado, which will submit them to NSSE. The agreement concerns data sharing only, and does not obligate signees
to use the AAUDE optional questions or do administer NSSE in any year.
- Using AAUDE optional questions -- Click here for information about signing up for AAUDE
"consortium," questions, and/or sharing. (Word, Consortium.docx) See codebooks, below, for versions.
AAUDE NSSE shared data are password protected. Passwords are available only to authorized users at
institutions sharing data. For a password contact IR@colorado.edu.
SAS v9 datasets and SAS code posted 5/9/14 (full release of version 2 and v1-to-v2 data) are described
in detail in the user guide (below). Files include
- Institutional metadata dataset. Includes 2005 - 2013 population and sample counts, response rates, etc. Same info is in ResponseRates Excel,
see below. (metadata)
- Base stats: 2013+ means and SD's by institution, class level, and item. Same dataset includes 2001-2012 stats from v1 data
converted to v2 format.
- Response-level data in v2 formats
- 2013 response-level data, all institutions (nsseallyrs_v2)
- Converted version 1 data to version 2 data. 2001-2012 response-level data, all institutions. Contains the 120 items from v1
that could be converted to a v2 item. Items have been renamed to the v2 name and values have been converted to v2 values. (convert_v1_v2)
- 'Match' dataset used to assign formats and labels. For v2, with a map of the conversion of v1 to v2 variables (match_v2)
- V1 only datasets, with v1 variable names
- SAS formats and code for use with v2 and v1_v2 data
For using NSSE/AAUDE data
- User guide to the version 2 and v1_v2 data.
Contains KEY INFO.
- Codebooks, largely from NSSE. 2013 codebook is marked up for use with SAS datasets and formats and longitudinal analyses;
includes info on AAUDE questions.
- AAUDE optional questions
- Variable list for the version 2 response-level dataset. Contains variable names,
labels, types, lengths, format names, and information from both NSSE and CU on v1 to v2 conversion. (MatchVars_V2 Excel) Much of
the info in here is in the codebook as well.
- Response rates and metadata (Excel, ResponseRates.xlsx) - 2005 to present, with plots
and narratives and links to NSSE tables and studies of response rates.
- NSSE website - find all years' participants, instruments, etc. Includes
- NSSE “common data recodes” – How NSSE calc’d first generation
status, parent ed, estimated hours/week, and dichotomized responses (which we advise against!!)
- CIP crosswalk - http://nsse.iub.edu/zips/NSSE_Majors_and_CIP_Codes.zip --
For v2, based on what AAUDE did for v1. Provides up to 3 CIPs for each NSSE major code/label; e.g., 15, environmental science, 03.0104 and 26.1305,
with CIP descriptions too.
- To/about AAUDE-NSSE
- Reports by individual schools
- University of Colorado Boulder, with comparisons to other institutions:
See also the AAUDE-member exchange item page
Questions to IR@colorado.edu