PBA Home >
Institutional Research & Analysis >
Surveys > AAUDE-NSSE Data Sharing
AAUDE-NSSE Data Sharing
The National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) has been administered annually at selected AAUDE institutions
each spring 2000 and after. Participation is voluntary. Data sharing is coordinated by the University of Colorado Boulder. AAUDE is the
Association of American Universities Data Exchange.
34 AAU schools have used NSSE at least once 2009-2012.
NSSE version 2.0 starts 2013. AAUDE optional questions have been
See also the AAUDE-member exchange item page
- AAUDE-NSSE participation means two things: Use of AAUDE optional questions, and sharing response-level data.
Participants can do questions, or sharing, or both. Most do both.
- List of institutions (Excel) with years participating, record of data-sharing status, record of optional-question use,
Also see tables of counts in the metadata section.
- AAUDE participation or data-sharing agreement (Word): AAUDE institutions which have participated
or are planning to participate in NSSE in any year are urged to complete the agreement and return to Colorado, which will submit
them to NSSE. The agreement concerns data sharing only, and does not obligate signees to use the AAUDE optional questions.
- AAUDE optional questions -- Click here for information about signing up for AAUDE "consortium,"
questions, and/or sharing. See metadata, codebooks, below,
AAUDE NSSE shared data are password protected. Passwords are available only to authorized users at institutions sharing data.
For a password contact IR@colorado.edu. Four SAS v9 datasets, posted 11/28/12 (added 2012 data)
currently available in a .ZIP file:
- All-years response-level data, all institutions, 2000 - 2012. See user guide, below, for description.
This file now excludes items that were administered for only one year.
- Same population as above but dataset contains the 170 items that were administered for only one year.
- All-years means and SD's by institution, survey year, and class rank. For random sample only. In 2009, We flipped this file from an Excel file to a SAS dataset.
- Institutional metadata dataset. Includes 2005 - 2012 population and sample counts, response rates, etc. Described in user guide.
Metadata and related
SAS formats for the response alternatives in the all-years dataset.
NSSE-code to CIP match (as Excel and SPSS code). See also the user guide on this page.
Document on metadata and weights in AAUDE surveys, LMcC, 12/08. Consistent with weights made available for NSSE-AAUDE.
Messages from coordinator, 12/2008, with what was new then: 12/08
- User guide to the all-years response-level data and other datasets.
- AAUDE optional questions
- Counts by institution
- Variable list for the all-years response-level dataset. Contains variable names, labels, types, lengths, format names,
and information on variable matching and renaming over years. (Excel)
- NSSE website - find all years'
participants, instruments, etc.
- Codebooks, largely from NSSE
- Beta questions, 2002 only (Word)/a>
- Technology items, 2003 only (Word)
- Experimental items, 2005 only (Excel)
- Update to AAUDE, April 2010 (PDF)
- Overview 2/09 (Powerpoint)
- University of Michigan - cite in alumni publication (PDF)
- University of Wisconsin NSSE reports
- University of Florida, 2008 report (Powerpoint)
- Purdue University, 2004 - 2010
- Comparing grades of undergraduates, Lou McCelland, Colorado, 2005.
- NSSE project DEEP selected Kansas and Michigan for above-expected grad rates and NSSE ratings, then visited each campus to
"Document Effective Educational Practices."
- SIG, AAUDE meeting May 2004, Boulder
- University of Colorado Boulder, with comparisons to other institutions:
- Over-time analyses for 16 schools using 3 time windows 01-03, 04-06, 07-09
- University of California Undergraduate Experience
Survey (UCUES) -- all campuses -- with some overlap with NSSE questions.
- University of Toronto:
Stepping UP: A framework for Planning at the University of Toronto 2004-2010 (PDF)
- University of Wisconsin (Madison):  Overall report,  Use in annual accountability report
- University of Virginia:  Report on NSSE 2000
- University of Missouri:  Presentations
- University of California:   Institutional Versus Academic Discipline Measures of Student Experience.
Questions to IR@colorado.edu