PBA Home >
Institutional Research & Analysis >
Outcomes Assessment > AOC meeting notes 08/15/07
Assessment Oversight Committee (AOC) meeting notes 08/15/07
|Lou McClelland, staff
||Perry Sailor, staff
Submitted by Deborah Viles, August 20, 2007
- Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA)
- Lou McClelland highlighted the VSA working template. The template is intended to be used in exactly the
same format for all participating institutions.
- There was some discussion as to the merits and concerns of CUís participation.
- After discussion, the committee agreed that while it largely supports using the document, it would recommend
that Part III, the commercial test to measure core learning outcomes, remain optional. Mike will draft the
- Mike introduced the General Education document he drafted for the System Assessment Committee. There were no
- Program Review revision
- Mike expressed concern that the word ďassessmentĒ appeared only once in the draft for the new PRP.
- Sam and Lou agreed that assessment is still considered important in the work of the unit self-study report.
It isnít mentioned in the draft because it is not a point of contention.
- The committee agreed to ask for some clarification in the language of the PRP regarding assessment: units
should be reminded to include graduate assessment; units should be reminded to focus assessment efforts on
student learning outcomes. Mike will communicate these recommendations to Jeff Cox.
- Mike introduced the idea of including Student Affairs in the AOC to create more articulation between the work of
Student and Academic Affairs. The committee concurred. Mike will appoint additional Student Affairs professionals
to the committee.
- Department Feedback Reports
- Sam pointed out that under the proposed PRP guidelines, units would receive both the National Survey of
Student Engagement (NSSE) and Senior Survey results as part of their PRP package, and would be expected to
incorporate those results into their self-study.
- With that in mind, the committee decided we might wait until the new PRP guidelines go into effect before
proceeding with the feedback reports.
- Lou noted that the NSSE results are not based on student satisfaction, but on student participation.
- Subsequently, there has been an e-mail discussion suggesting the committee might rethink sending the
feedback reports, with or without the NSSE/senior survey portion, in order to give units a sense of whether
their assessment efforts are adequate. There is not yet a clear consensus.