PBA Home >
Institutional Research & Analysis >
NRC . . .
NRC and other data on PhD programs - National activity
This site is NOT being updated Sept 2010!
Except for link immediately below. For general
and CU-Boulder NRC material see
Passworded Excel and SAS
datasets for AAUDE, Sept 20 - Sept 28 2010
Material below NOT UPDATED
1: Graduate education data activities of the AAU, AAUDE, AAU IDC, and AGS. April 2008 to March 2009 -- grad
ed working group, graduate exit survey, AAUDE and AAU grad ed task forces/working groups. Also explorations of local
capture of the SED.
2:Activities relevant to NRC study of the research
Julie Carpenter-Hubin of Ohio State University and Lou McClelland of the University of Colorado at Boulder have
been monitoring NRC progress and issues for
AAUDE, the AAU data
- Comparison of the 1993 study (released 1995) and the 2006 study (release
2009) - Methods, participation, more. Roberta Bell, Vanderbilt.
- NRC institutions, programs, and fields -
of 11/08 listings -- Lou McClelland, Colorado
Remaining material has not been revised since Jan '08
- Institutional handling of program questionnaire items E3 and E4, on financial support. AAUDE and Colonial, January 2008.
- From and following CGS (Council of Graduate Schools) meeting, December 2007
- Notes from presentations
- Issues related to the notes on presentations
- NRC data validation plans, 12-4-07
- NRC Program Questionnaire data - all program questionnaire results from institutions agreeing to be part of the
AAUDE NRC data sharing (download as SAS and/or SPSS datasets)
to request the user ID and password
- Institution by all programs data with NRC field as of 1/28/08
HEDS institution by all programs data as of 1/28/08
Chemistry and philosophy data with NRC field as of 1/28/08
Schools exchanging data
- Data sharing rules -
AAUDEColonialIRDataSharingRules.xls as of 1/28/08
- From the 10/07 Columbus NRC practitioners workshop, AAUDE and Colonial IR
- Displays and uses of NRC data,
dataset structures at the U of Colorado - Oct 2007
- NRC behind the scenes survey, October 2007
- AAU activities on graduate education data (Word),
Updated 11/29 after AAU graduate education data task force phone conference.
- Comments on "Survey of Program Quality," (Word) 3/30
- Calculation of completion rates from MPR variables (Excel) -
Lou McClelland, 3/9/07
- Memo to AAU graduate deans (Word) for their
AGS (Association of Graduate Schools) meeting,
Los Angeles, 9/17-20/06. Prepared 9/15/06.
- NRC West Coast IC meeting, Irvine, 9/20/2006.
Meeting notes by Lou McClelland (Word), U of Colorado at Boulder,
attending by phone. Prepared 9/25/06.
Issues and decisions matrix (Word), compiled by Krisztina
Marton, head of the NRC team for MPR (Mathematica Policy Research) - Received by AAUDE on 9/28/06.
- NRC Midwest IC meeting, Chicago, 9/27/06.
Meeting notes (Word) by Julie Carpenter-Hubin at Ohio State University
with Christine Keller at the University of Kansas and Rebecca Bryant at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign. Prepared 9/28/06.
- NRC East Coast IC meeting, Washington D.C., 9/29/06.
Draft meeting notes (Word) by Cathy Lebo at Johns Hopkins University
with Lydia Snover at MIT, Jed Marsh at Princeton, and John Scanlon at Columbia. Updated 10/06/06.
Sent to NRC on/before 10/3 for review and response. Penn State clarified two questions in section 7 on 10/5.
- Systematic compilations (Word) AAUDE will be looking for 10/10/06,
written 10/08/06. (Word)
- Letter to AAU chief academic officers (PDF), 10/17/06, from Ostriker
and Hinshaw, chair and vice-chair of NRC Committee to Assess Research Doctorate Programs. (PDF)
- File layout specification for institutional questionnaire uploads. As sent to Illinois 10/5/06.
Layout, variable names, variable labels for ASCII, Excel,
SAS (one count per row) (Excel)
Excel template as on questionnaire (row = cohort, many measures per row)
- Final NRC program & field lists
at AAU institutions
- for AAUDE institutions (ask
IR@colorado.edu for a password)
Collecting program questionnaire data
for AAUDE institutions (ask IR@colorado.edu for a password)
Response rates (Excel)
to the faculty questionnaire by field for AAUDE institutions
(ask IR@colorado.edu for a password IF you provided data).