PBA Home >
Institutional Research & Analysis >
Degrees > CU-Boulder approved degree
Changes in CU-Boulder approved degree programs
1998 to present (last updated May 2015)
New degree program enrollment and degrees, projected versus actual, 2007 to current
Current list of approved degree programs. Lists of approved degree programs by year beginning 1998-99 are posted at
http://www.colorado.edu/pba/degrees/, sorted by both program name
and CIP code.
New degree programs, fall 1998 to present (most current listed first)
- 2015 - Art Practices - B.A., B.F.A., M.F.A (existing Studio Art degree renamed)
- 2015 - Environmental Engineering - M.S., Ph.D.
- 2015 - Masters of the Environment
- 2014 - Technology, Arts and Media (TAM) - B.S.
- 2014 - Masters of Studies in Law - M.S.L.
- 2014 - College of Media, Communication and Information (CMCI) approved
(9/11/2014) with the following new degrees:
- 2013 - Supply Chain Management - M.S.
- 2013 - Real Estate - M.S.
- 2013 - Neuroscience - B.A.
- 2013 - General Engineering Plus - B.S.
- 2013 - Comparative Ethnic Studies - Ph.D.
- 2013 - Materials Science and Engineering - M.S., Ph.D.
- 2012 - Architectural Engineering - M.S., Ph.D.
- 2012 - Computer Science - B.A. (in the College of Arts and Sciences; joins the B.S. in
computer science in Engineering)
- 2012 - German Studies - Ph.D.; master's and bachelor's renamed to
- 2012 - Jewish Studies - B.A.
- 2012 - International Baccalaureate (I.B.A.) for the following fields:
- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Environmental Studies
- Integrative Physiology
- Molecular, Cellular, & Developmental Biology
- Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences
- 2010 - Asian Languages and Civilizations
- 2010 - Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICTD) - M.S.
- 2010 - Master of Laws - LL.M.
- 2010 - Telecommunications
- 2007 – Biochemistry – Ph.D.
- 2006 – Audiology – Aud. D.
- 2006 – Chemical & Biological Engineering – B.S.
- 2006 – Technology, Media & Society (ATLAS) – Ph.D.
- 2002 – Environmental Studies – M.S., PhD
- 2002 – Neuroscience – PhD (joint program only)
- 2000 – Cognitive Science – PhD (joint program only)
- 1998 – Astronomy – B.A.
- 1998 – Environmental Engineering – B.S.
Degree program closures, from fall 1998 to present
All programs had very low demand. The year shown is the last
fiscal year the program was on the approved degree program list. Students
already in the program at that point may enroll and graduate in
the program after that year.
- 2002-2003 American Studies - bachelor's
- 2001-2002 Mathematical Physics - PhD
- 1999-2000 Central & East European Studies - bachelor's
- 1999-2000 Latin American Studies - bachelor's
- 1999-2000 Individually Structured Major - bachelor's
Reconfigurations of schools and colleges
- 2014: The College of Media, Communication and Information (CMCI) was approved by vote of the Board
of Regents June 27, 2014. The new college encompasses four existing or reorganized departments, two new
departements and a program. This is the first new college at CU-Boulder in 50 years.
degree programs below, as a result of the new college.
- 2012: CU-Boulder resumed the administration, management and
governance of a bachelor’s degree in environmental design. Environmental
Design continues as a program, and the degree program
continues. Offered since 1970 as part of the College of
Environmental Design, CU-Boulder’s undergraduate environmental
design degree was overseen by the College of Architecture and Planning
at CU Denver 1992 to 2012.
- 2011: The School of Journalism and Mass Communication was
discontinued as a school by vote of the Board of Regents on April 14, 2011. Journalism and Mass Communication continues as a
program housed in the CU-Boulder Graduate School. The B.S. program
continues as "Journalism Plus"
with modified degree requirements requiring students to have not only a journalism major (e.g.
advertising, broadcast news) but also an additional field of study
(e.g., history, anthropology) or a second degree. The M.A. program
in Journalism continues unchanged.
Reconfigured degree programs
- Effective 9/11/2014, the following degree programs have been reconfigured:
- The former department of Communication in the College of Arts and Sciences, now
offers the same degrees in the College
of Media, Communication and Information (CMCI)--the B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. in
- The BS degree formerly in the College of Journalism and Mass Communication with tracks in
Advertising, Journalism, and Media Studies now has three separate degrees: a BS in Strategic Communication,
a BA in Journalism (replacing the former BS in Journalism), and
a BA in Media Studies.
- The former MA in Journalism with tracks in Journalism and Media Studies now has three separate degrees:
an MA in Journalism, an MA in Media and Public Engagement, and an
MA in Strategic Communication Design.
- The Ph.D. in the Department of
Communication now has a joint doctoral program in CMCI in Media Research and Practice.
- The M.S. degree in Information and Communication Technology for Development
in the College of Engineering & Applied Science has been renamed to the
M.S. in Technology, Media and Society.
- Effective fall 2008, in the departments of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
and Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences, one degree program was split into two
separate degree programs:
- From: Astro-Physic Planetary & Atmospheric Science, MS/PhD
- Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, MS/PhD (major code, ATOC, remained
- Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences, MS/PhD (major code changed
from APAS to ASPS) All students who were currently enrolled and were
in the old major code were switched to the new major code.
- Effective fall 2008, in the department of Art and Art History, configuration
changes resulted in the following:
- Fine Arts, BA/BFA
- Fine Arts, MA/MFA
- Art History, BA (major code changed from BAAH to
- Studio Arts, BA (major code changed from BASA to
- Studio Arts, BFA (major code changed from BFAS to AASF)*
- Art History, MA (major code changed from ARTH to AAAH)*
- Studio Arts, MFA (major code changed from ARTC to AASF)*
- All students who were currently enrolled and were in the old major code were switched to the new major code.
Planning, Budget & Analysis
- 9/2008 - Added program reconfigurations and changed degree names
- 4/2013 - updated; school/college changes added
- 9/2014 - Added new degree programs, college and reconfigurations
L:\IR\emgt\LowEnrl\End_New.sas - for prior to ISIS documentation
L:\datalib\AcStructure\AcStructureChanges.docx - for current posting