D2L’s News tool has some features to help you manage your course communication.
- Add a News item to be posted for a future date
- Set an end date to remove expired notes
- Speak your announcement to students by recording audio
- Add an attachment to your News items – a useful way to share a reading, worksheet, rubric or other resource that’s ready for student review
- Want a News item to stay at the top of the list, reorder posts with a few clicks of a button
- Use replacement strings to personalize News items for each student
To help ensure students read your News posts:
- At the beginning of the semester, advise students to monitor the News tool throughout the length of the course and let them know the kind of information they can find there.
- Be concise and straightforward.
- Write a descriptive headline that briefly describes the subject of the News item
- Use bulleted lists to break up the information for easy reading
- Only post News items important for the entire class to read. If an item is of a sensitive or personal nature, contact students, one-on-one, via the email tool or schedule an appointment instead.
If you’d like to hear back from students about your post, creating a discussion forum for announcements is a better option.
For assistance with using D2L’s News tool, visit the tutorials for Adding News Items and Managing News Items.