Registering to use the campus network is something most of us take for granted but it is a crucial step toward keeping the campus network secure. This fall the IT Security Office has been leading a project to upgrade the software and hardware that enable network registration on our campus.
What you should know about the upgrade:
- will be implemented in a phased approach across campus
- will first be implemented on the wired network in residence halls starting with the Engineering Quad residence halls on December 4 and the rest of residence halls on January 7
- will next be implemented by geographic areas on the wireless network (UCB Wireless network; UCB Guest Wireless is unchanged)
- you will be prompted to enter your IdentiKey the first time you open a browser window through a device connected to the impacted network after implementation in your building
- requires everyone to agree to the Acceptable Use policy
- if your home page is a secure website (https://...) you won’t initially be prompted to register so you should visit an unprotected website (http://…).
- devices without a browser (such as game consoles) should not need to register; however, the IT Service Center can help manually register these devices if necessary
If you ever have questions about the campus wired or wireless networks or network registration specifically, please contact the IT Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org 303-735-4357 (5-HELP from a campus phone). E-mail and phone help is available Mondays through Thursdays, 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.; Fridays 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.; and Saturdays and Sundays, noon to 6:00 p.m. Learn more at http://oit.colorado.edu/service-center.