You are here

FAQ's for Incoming Exchange Students

ACADEMICS: Where I come from we have ECTs, and our modules are either worth 3 or 6 of those. I am unaware of how the American system works (and, specifically in this case, how many credits I have to fulfil and how I am to spread them out)?

Exchange students must maintain full time student status as listed below, keeping in mind that a normal Undergraduate course load is 12 – 15 credit hours per semester (each course is usually worth 3 – 5 credits) while a normal Graduate course load is 5 – 9 credits per semester:   

1000 – 4999 Undergrad level classes      12 credit hours

5000 Grad level (and higher)                  5 credit hours

Undergrad and Grad level mixed             8 credit hours

Most exchange students are admitted as advanced undergraduates, assuming they have taken the equivalent of about 90 credit hours (students normally take about 30 credits per year).

ACADEMICS: Will I be able to see which courses will be available for the semester before the deadline for my application?

Yes, you will be able to see the courses, but not until after you apply.  This is why we are emphatic by asking all applicants to be as flexible as possible!  Please do get advising on several alternative courses so that you have flexibility.  Again, one of the major reasons to do an exchange is to take courses that are different than what you can get at your home institution!  Please understand that we can never guarantee that a particular course will be offered, so this is another reason why you should have several alternatives in mind.

ACADEMICS: What courses can I take? Can I take courses from different Majors? What type of requirements do apply?

In general, you can take courses in the College of Arts and Sciences and if you are currently studying engineering or business, you may be able to take courses in the College of Engineering and Leeds School of Business.  If you are taking courses at the upper division level (3000 or 4000), then please make sure that you have sufficient background to take them before enrolling. If the course here has a pre-requisite, then the CU computer system will not allow you to enroll and you will have to get permission to over-ride the computer.  Be prepared to prove that you have the necessary background by sending copies of your appropriate course syllabi to the Office of International Education.

ACADEMICS: How do I get access to the detailed programs of the courses? Do I have to email the instructor?

This level of detail may be on the department’s website, so please look first.  However,  such details may only be available from the instructor of the course.  ONCE YOU ARE ADMITTED, we will be posting instructions on how to contact the appropriate exchange academic advisor since this varies by college and sometimes department.

APPLICATION: Is it possible to submit the TOEFL results two weeks after the application deadline?

Yes, but we cannot finalize your acceptance for the exchange until we receive the results of your TOEFL exam.